Gnasher

How i know about super Bantam is Tony Silkstone Leeds v Bradley Stone London for 1st belt

Bradley won & Tony died not long after also Bradleys 1st defence he died from head injuries :(

Sorry to correct you again mate i dont mean to make it a habit but Bradley was a good friend of my family so only right to tell it how it was.Bradley died 2 days after challenging Richie Wenton for the vacant title he wasnt defending it.Bradley was from Canning Town and trained out of the Peacock.My nephew was a good talent at the time and was best pals with Bradley,he totally went off the rails and packed the game in after Bradleys death which was a shame.Some younger lads might know him through the dogs.

Anyway,i might be wrong but i think that was the first super bantamweight title fight in Britain,but i wouldnt swear to it so that would have been 1994.

Edited by gnasher16

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair play mate, I'm hardly one to talk but if only some of the talent we've got coming through would listen to people like you and stay away from the substances and ale.

How different did you find the Amateurs to Professional boxing? Which suited you best?

A mate of mine Rupert Christie boxed at national level for England/GB and done very well as an amateur, but as a pro had next to no success at all. Apparently he was expected to do well as a pro, but besides struggling to make weight for light heavy weight and being too small for a heavy weight (There was no Cruiser weight division when he was about) he just didn't take well to the pro's at all.

Do you remember a lad who won the Commonwealth title and boxed for the British title called Lloyd Hibbert? I see him around from time to time and I have been good friends with his son for years. He was a Light middleweight in the 80's and boxed Lloyd Honeyghan and a few other decent boxers around the time.

Yes i remember Lloyd he was a brummie if i remember right i cant say i knew him only in passing kind of thing,i think he fought Honeyghan at welterweight at the Albert Hall.

I never reached any real great heights i didnt have anywhere near the talent of others but i was strong and durable with a decent chin,sparred a lot with Bruno and Gary Mason,Hughroy Currie.. my biggest achievement was being Franks sparring partner for the Witherspoon fight which he lost anyway....so pretty much sums up my career :icon_redface: ....back then a good sparring partner was worth their weight in gold and it was a career in itself and i realised early on i wasnt going to be top grade so it was decent money doing what you love.

I believe the amateurs takes a different dedication to the pros and in some ways is even harder because your not living the life and still doing a 9-5 which is not easy.

Edited by gnasher16

Fair play mate, I'm hardly one to talk but if only some of the talent we've got coming through would listen to people like you and stay away from the substances and ale.

How different did you find the Amateurs to Professional boxing? Which suited you best?

A mate of mine Rupert Christie boxed at national level for England/GB and done very well as an amateur, but as a pro had next to no success at all. Apparently he was expected to do well as a pro, but besides struggling to make weight for light heavy weight and being too small for a heavy weight (There was no Cruiser weight division when he was about) he just didn't take well to the pro's at all.

Do you remember a lad who won the Commonwealth title and boxed for the British title called Lloyd Hibbert? I see him around from time to time and I have been good friends with his son for years. He was a Light middleweight in the 80's and boxed Lloyd Honeyghan and a few other decent boxers around the time.

Yes i remember Lloyd he was a brummie if i remember right i cant say i knew him only in passing kind of thing,i think he fought Honeyghan at welterweight at the Albert Hall.

I never reached any real great heights i didnt have anywhere near the talent of others but i was strong and durable with a decent chin,sparred a lot with Bruno and Gary Mason,Hughroy Currie.. my biggest achievement was being Franks sparring partner for the Witherspoon fight which he lost anyway....so pretty much sums up my career :icon_redface: ....back then a good sparring partner was worth their weight in gold and it was a career in itself and i realised early on i wasnt going to be top grade so it was decent money doing what you love.

I believe the amateurs takes a different dedication to the pros and in some ways is even harder because your not living the life and still doing a 9-5 which is not easy.

Note to self.................. dont argue with Gnasher16 :angel:

Trained end of 1975 season boxed 1976 season 6F 5W 1L 3TKO then went to her majesties holiday camp and never went back :thumbdown:

Fkin gutted now :censored::wallbash: any scouses on here i sparred with a kid called keith Wallace quiet a few times !!!

kieth was a real talent he fell by the wayside i think

Gnasher

How i know about super Bantam is Tony Silkstone Leeds v Bradley Stone London for 1st belt

Bradley won & Tony died not long after also Bradleys 1st defence he died from head injuries :(

Sorry to correct you again mate i dont mean to make it a habit but Bradley was a good friend of my family so only right to tell it how it was.Bradley died 2 days after challenging Richie Wenton for the vacant title he wasnt defending it.Bradley was from Canning Town and trained out of the Peacock.My nephew was a good talent at the time and was best pals with Bradley,he totally went off the rails and packed the game in after Bradleys death which was a shame.Some younger lads might know him through the dogs.

Anyway,i might be wrong but i think that was the first super bantamweight title fight in Britain,but i wouldnt swear to it so that would have been 1994.

ritchie wenton boxed for wavertree ritchie was a good amature ,

Gnasher

its like been bak at skool :icon_redface::tongue2::thumbs:

Yes Tony was beaten in an Eliminator v Bradley for the 1st title fight of that cat

Thanks mate..You WHU ?

Absolutely,theres no other team for me :icon_redface: with a boxing background my sporting hero shouldnt really be Bobby Moore but thats the way the cookie crumbles i guess.

ritchie wenton boxed for wavertree ritchie was a good amature ,

He was a real nice fella Ritchie Wenton he gave the belt to Bradleys mum and kept in touch for many years,always sent a note to her on every anniversary of his death,very good and decent person.

You Mark Kaylor & Alan Minter fan also then ;):hmm:

Minter was from down near Gatwick somewhere.... took many a dig in the ribs off Mark without being allowed to hit him back :D ....he lives the quiet life out in California these days being a fitness coach to kids,he could certainly fight.....saw him a while back at Terry Lawless funeral he looks in better nick now than when he was fighting !

Kaylor had massive fan base !!!

i always thought Minter was WHU also ?

the early 80s era Kaylor, Christie, Sibson, Grayham some great domestic fights :thumbs:

Dont forget the Finnegans in there as well,Kevin could have been world champion if he had been more dedicated to the sport,one of the physically toughest men i ever saw.

The Kaylor/Christie fight i remember like yesterday,one of the best atmospheres ive ever seen at a fight,a lot of the West Ham footie crowd had turned up and due to the lead up to the fight it was bound to go wonky outside the ring if not inside :D ...great fight nonetheless.

Minter was from surrey or brighton somewhere i forget now i know he lives down near Gatwick anyway.

Finnegans yes real old school :thumbs:

Kaylor v Christie all i remember besides the fight was kaylor kaylor kaylor :laugh:

seen kaylor at York Hall dont know who against he was not main event but must have had

a good 100 there with ease that night :thumbs:

Kaylor fought somebody from middlands i think and went off big time in crowd who was that

against gnasher ?

Kaylor fought somebody from middlands i think and went off big time in crowd who was that

against gnasher ?

I think thats probably the Errol Christie fight your thinking of....Mark used to get a lot of the football crowd following him as did a lot of the West Ham boys Mo Hussein was the same.Gary Delaney once got out the ring to stop his brother getting nicked in the crowd because of the football carry on :D ....funny days.

Edited by gnasher16