Shooting Sticks

I actually made my own - the three legged variety. 3 plastic coated 5 ft garden centre canes, some foam pipe insulating to go on the top with the bulbous part of the rubber that goes into milking clusters. See

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq101/wyndog/DSCF0319.jpg

You will notice a complete rubber tied to a cane so that you know what to look for. Dairy farmers throw them out when the bottoms perish but the bit you need is always fine and has the added benefit of enabling the canes to be slid down through the bulbous bit to enable you to sit down to take a shot without the legs splaying awkwardly.

Total cost under a tenner

Depends on the type of shooting you'll be doing. If it's .22, lamping for bunnies etc. then I'd recommend a monopod (single stick) as the ranges will be fairly short, and if you practice you should be able to shoot rabbits at sensible .22 ranges with that no problems. If you're talking slightly longer ranges, for a centrefire on deer maybe, then the bipod is a great choice, though slightly heavier than the monopod. If you want a totally stable base, then the tripod style is the one to go for. If you have a decent bipod on the rifle you can make a totally stable gun base using a tripod. The tripod with a decent bipod means that you can have a completely immobile base for the rifle, pretty much a bench rest, without the weight of the bench. If you're thinking of taking long shots from standing, then this is the way to go.

Once you decide what style you think will suit, I'd definitely recommend making one yourself. Some of my best shooting has been off a homemade tripod consisting of three standard bamboo canes held together with a piece of old baler twine. Once you've made one and tried it out, and found you like it, then feel free to invest more money. It's easy to go out, buy an expensive set of sticks and then find out that actually they don't suit you. Best to try the homemade version first (and chances are if you're semi handy you'll never need to lay out the money for a manufactured set)

Hi mate, i have a set the same as the ones you have shown, graet piece of kit for the money very light and easy to store in the boot when not extended :notworthy: only thing i did was to remove the strap at the top i found it easier to use the V of the poles :icon_redface: Great if you can make your own but remember they are not retractable :icon_redface:

Cheers

LD

just make 'em yourself! it's really not that hard, plus it'll cost you about 4 quid max.

I made a pair of sitting sticks for bunny shooting, one stick cut in half, tied together with some left over silicone rubber door seal, bike inner tube works as well, with a small section of garden hose around the stocks to prevent the stock from betting dinged, shove something in the ends of the tubes to stop them filling up with mud, cut off at an angle so they spike in the ground better, and you're done!

4979536958_d08d468628.jpg

DSC_7596 by danebrewer12, on Flickr

4979540482_81a1d409ef.jpg

DSC_7599 by danebrewer12, on Flickr

I have shot off sticks for years now, I went down the road of a mono-pod to start with (actually a landing net pole with a plastic

rod rest screwed in, and fine in was to.

These day's I bought a 'Stoney Point' telescopic two legged alluminium jobby, also I have the third 'leg' which makes it into a tripod,

and very good that is as well. But the third leg gets taken off before a lamping foray as its just to 'fussy' to set up and carry.

I have Harris swivel bipods on all my rifles, but these also come off before I go shooting for 'real', as round my way when you lay down

anywere, if your lucky you can see 40 yards! So that's no good. I just use them for zeroing of my truck bonnet.

Oh and if you have a Ruger No1 as I do (22.250) the forend is fixed to the barrel, forget Harris bipods, at least if you want to take them off

as I do, 'cos fitting one zeroing and then removing it moves the impact point 4" low and 2" left at 100 yards on mine, put it back on and 'bingo'

right back on the money, clearly the stress of tightening the bipod 'bends' something.

Anyway a couple of garden canes and sticky tape are just as good as £60 worth of Stoney Point rest, just not as pretty!

Andy F

tried a few things in the past but now i just spent a few pound and ended up with the standing tri pod. their adjustable in height so i can go from sitting upto standing at 6'6". i can use as bi or tri-pod.

i got fed up of getting use to a set then they brake and then have to sort again. in the dark with a twitchy charlie, the last thing i want is noise and hassles.

buy right, buy once

Phil

just make 'em yourself! it's really not that hard, plus it'll cost you about 4 quid max.

I made a pair of sitting sticks for bunny shooting, one stick cut in half, tied together with some left over silicone rubber door seal, bike inner tube works as well, with a small section of garden hose around the stocks to prevent the stock from betting dinged, shove something in the ends of the tubes to stop them filling up with mud, cut off at an angle so they spike in the ground better, and you're done!

4979536958_d08d468628.jpg

DSC_7596 by danebrewer12, on Flickr

4979540482_81a1d409ef.jpg

DSC_7599 by danebrewer12, on Flickr

I do jus same , only differ ,i keep stick same , only use vacum belt for band, so can ajust up & down, where i need (stand or sit). Also crush ( my is thin steel tube , with plast green outer like you) botton to stop mud go in, also make better to stand up.

Edited by clint

had wanted some sticks for a while now, although I have a 21" harris bi-pod for shooting in sitting position, you know what its like, spot a rabbit, kneel down, and you cant see the bugger for the long grass :wallbash:

so, being a tinkerer in the shed type, have just made a set, two extending washing poles from wilkinsons £3 each, already had 5 of these in the shed for use on hide building, a "roller" from an old twist an go scooter, and a nut and bolt, made in around 10 minutes and works great, hangs in the closed position when carrying it, and simple opens up when wanting to use, height can be adjusted slightly by opening up legs a touch more, or closing, and when the rifle is mounted, you still have a good 180 degree's movement :thumbs:

post-5267-037076400 1284894678_thumb.jpg

post-5267-004001000 1284894701_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

2 garden stakes from B&Q - 1.8m long and 16mm wide which are £1.99 each

Pipe insulation from B&Q - 1m long with an inner hole of 13mm so nice snug fit over the takes which is £0.77 cut into 25cm lengths so enough to do 2 sets.

An old inner tube to wrap around the stakes - free

1 elastic band at the bottom to keep the stakes together.

Works for me.

Cheers,

Dave.

post-41855-001735100 1286225364_thumb.jpg

A shooting bipod like the ones above, with a rifle mounted bipod, can make an incredibly stable shooting platform! Drop the tripod down, and grab the leg of the gun tripod against the leg of the cane bipod and you can hold the rifle up like that, completely stable!

A shooting bipod like the ones above, with a rifle mounted bipod, can make an incredibly stable shooting platform! Drop the tripod down, and grab the leg of the gun tripod against the leg of the cane bipod and you can hold the rifle up like that, completely stable!

pictures are needed, for that to make sense to me