Valerio,

If the dog gets up to game and come away after doing his job without to much injuries, then it is the right size.

I spent some time in Lucca last year,are you near there?, cracking looking area nearby, is the hunting good?

Celt

i think the size of the terrier needed depends on the size of the earths you wish to work.

most of the earths i do are dis'used rabbit holes and my terrier often takes a while to get upto his quarry but i think as long as the terrier as the heart he will get there in the end most of the time ;)

with a smaller terrier life would be a lot easier for me but thats life,i make do with what i've got and i have'nt be let down yet,so im happy :)

Valerio its not just the type of earth that would dictate size of terrier(though it obviously is a major factor)but also what you expect your dog to do when it gets up to its quarry.I personaly prefer a dog that will work its oponent hard dominating and even holding until the diggers get there,in the right earths even killing its fox this type of dog or bitch is generaly bigger/stronger.A small baying type that bolts its fox or gives the quarry to much respect is not for some,though it is gold dust to others.

some of the fastest killing machines on foxes I've owned or bred have been smallish bitches under 18 pound mark, this is a pic of a bitch i gave to Limb, i believe she killed every fox she got to, and being only about 16 pound in wieght was most of them, Maisy R.I.P

maisy.jpg

Edited by pickaxe