hello just got back from vet and my bitch has eclampsia i was very lucky i mean very lucky she collapsed on the table and my vet gave her minutes to pull through what im saying is here is advice i have found i feed my dogs lots of offal and meat..

Hypocalcemia (low blood calcium) brought on by the following:

Poor Nutrition - "Home brewed" diets usually are at fault. The owner innocently may be adding too much unbalanced meat to the *****'s diet, thinking the extra protein is beneficial. What's really happening is the calcium to phosphorus ratio is out of balance because the amount of useful calcium in the food is actually reduced! The ideal contains a ratio of calcium to phosphorus of 1.2 to 1. (Many organ meats such as liver have a ratio of calcium to phosphorus of 1 to 15!! Liver is great for dogs but if it comprises a large part of the diet, the calcium/phosphorus ratio of the diet will be improper.)

Low Blood Levels of Albumen - Dietary protein deficiency or excessive loss from the body of albumen, which happens in some kidney diseases, will cause low levels of calcium.

Disease of the Parathyroid Glands - This condition is quite rare.

Excessive Milk Production - When pups require large amounts of milk (10 to 30 days post whelping) the *****'s ability to maintain proper amounts of calcium in her blood stream becomes stressed. Milk production has priority over the blood stream for calcium!

i have been feeding her alot of liver and hearts of which i now know i shouldnt..

also im looking for a good milk replacer what would you guys recomend my vet didnt say anything about a milk replacer just let her in in the morning but my pups are screaming and want feeding..

hello just got back from vet and my bitch has eclampsia i was very lucky i mean very lucky she collapsed on the table and my vet gave her minutes to pull through what im saying is here is advice i have found i feed my dogs lots of offal and meat..

Hypocalcemia (low blood calcium) brought on by the following:

Poor Nutrition - "Home brewed" diets usually are at fault. The owner innocently may be adding too much unbalanced meat to the *****'s diet, thinking the extra protein is beneficial. What's really happening is the calcium to phosphorus ratio is out of balance because the amount of useful calcium in the food is actually reduced! The ideal contains a ratio of calcium to phosphorus of 1.2 to 1. (Many organ meats such as liver have a ratio of calcium to phosphorus of 1 to 15!! Liver is great for dogs but if it comprises a large part of the diet, the calcium/phosphorus ratio of the diet will be improper.)

Low Blood Levels of Albumen - Dietary protein deficiency or excessive loss from the body of albumen, which happens in some kidney diseases, will cause low levels of calcium.

Disease of the Parathyroid Glands - This condition is quite rare.

Excessive Milk Production - When pups require large amounts of milk (10 to 30 days post whelping) the *****'s ability to maintain proper amounts of calcium in her blood stream becomes stressed. Milk production has priority over the blood stream for calcium!

i have been feeding her alot of liver and hearts of which i now know i shouldnt..

also im looking for a good milk replacer what would you guys recomend my vet didnt say anything about a milk replacer just let her in in the morning but my pups are screaming and want feeding..

ive always kept one of these in the cupboard when i was expecting a litter;-

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/New-Life-Puppy-Kit/productinfo/NEWLIFE/

along with this;

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Sherleys-Lactol-Gold-for-Puppies-500g/productinfo/LACTOLGP/

and this;

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Pet-Ag-Feeding-Kit/productinfo/FEEDKIT/

and this for the bitch

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Calciboost-Liquid-250ml/productinfo/CALCBOOSTDOG/

as well as the usual heat lamp + snugglesafe heatpad, scissors, ostetric gel etc

and book of the bitch + the breeding + rearing of dogs is on my bookshelf, often easier to search for problem in these books at 4 in the morning when the bitch is whelping than to ring a very sleepy vet over something minor.

Edited by CarraghsGem

we feed lambs hearts and pig hearts and some days tripe all the time and don t get problems if we have a pregnant bitch we start giving calcium 2 weeks before the pups are due and carry on giving calcium to the bitch until the pups are weaned of her then we may carry on for another week , all our dog s have meaty bones all the time to chew on

if you give calcium try and give them liquid calcium as it gets into there system quicker