docking

SCHEDULE 2 REGULATION 3 & 4

FORM CERTIFICATE.

ANIMAL ACT 2006 SECTION 6

THE DOCKING OF WORKING DOGS TAIL DOCKING (ENGLAND REGULATIONS 2007.

THIS FORM TO BE COMPLETED BY THE VETERINARY SURGEON .

SO NO WAY WOULD THE VET PRODUCE A SIGN DOCKING FORM ON A A4 SHEET AND SIGN IT .

I Have just got back today from vets with four pups docked by vet ad to have them microchipped by same vet and it took approx half hour with paper work and there was three sheets to fill in and then microchipping paper work which only took a few mintues cost per dog was £41.12 each microchipping was 10.99 at this vets so cost to dock £30.13 dont ask me whre they get the price from but thats what you have to pay if you want it done by vet in england now .

my local vet £9:00 tail docking and £14 micro chip

when i was first ringing round about my jack russels some vets said i needed a gun licence and i tried to explain a jack russel is not a gun dog etc

the gun licence is for the dispaching of the quary............the lad is going back up to the lads house ...in the week ..this will be fun ..:icon_eek: ..........black%20eye.gif ...ha ha

The requierments for docking don't say in anyway you need a gun,all you need is a letter stating you will use the dog for pest control.It does not say what pests or how you will control them,saying that i have heard of a good few vets who have stated they will only dock with a sgc or fac but thats not the legal case.Kipo did your vet put in the chip or just give it to you untill the dog is really old enough to take a chip as imo they ain't ready for a chip till towards the end of the 3 months you have to chip them after docking,the law also dosen't state the same vet has to chip it just says the docked dog needs chipping within 3 months so if you know someone who chips they can do it and not the vet but try finding a vet that will only dock and not chip is nigh on impossible.

.... has anyone been prosecuted for dockin there own terrier pups.... etc

- Yes.

BBC News Online 11.9.07

Woman jailed over tail dockings

A woman who used scissors to cut off the tails of eight puppies has been jailed for two months and banned from owning an animal for 10 years.

Gillian Breden, of Grove Hill, Brighton, admitted eight counts of removing the tails with no genuine medical reason at an earlier hearing.

The 51-year-old was sentenced by Brighton magistrates on Tuesday.

After the hearing, animal welfare officers welcomed the verdict and said her actions were "deliberate cruelty."

Breden had claimed she did not realise she was doing anything wrong.

She told the court that people buying the puppies all wanted animals with their tails docked.

She was given a two-month sentence for each charge, with all jail terms to run concurrently.

Brighton and Hove City Council's animal welfare service brought the prosecution under the Animal Welfare Act 2006.

The court heard the tails were removed when the puppies were a day old.

And magistrates heard that officers found the one-month-old puppies at her home in June.

Under the Animal Welfare Act 2006, tail docking is illegal unless carried out by a vet for medical reasons, or to a certified working dog.

Each case carries a maximum sentence of up to six months in prison or a £20,000 fine, the council said.

After the sentencing, animal welfare officer Maggi Hollands said: "This was a deliberate act of cruelty and we are very pleased that the magistrates have shown such clear support.

"This is a good step forward for the animal welfare team and gets the message across that this behaviour will not be tolerated.

"Ignorance is no excuse."

========================================================================

If you want accurate information on the legal position re tail docking written in layperson's terms by the person who actually secured the exemption for working terriers then SEE HERE.

Also regarding the "Irish question" it's important to bear in mind that it's the responsibility of the owner to prove that their dog is legally docked, not the other way round.

Hope this helps clarify matters.

Y.I.S. - Barrie

Edited by Barrie