Just out of interest?

I'll give you an example of what happened to mea few years ago.I was selfemployed and painting a block of flats,a mate(but not for long)was after starting his own building buisness.I got him into the owner and he got a lot of work put his way.2 years later I approached the same ''FRIEND'' and asked him for the use of his russel type terrier to cover my bitch.The b*****d refused me the service,I said nothing and walked away,thats the way the dog world has gone.The same bloke is the life and soul of the party at the pub.I was disgusted with him,thats why I dont bother mixing with people around here anymore,hes not the only 1 unfortunately like that.Its all about money now it seems.I work at my job for money,the dogs are my hobby,money shouldnt come into that.

regarding how much for a service,the few times i've given the use of a dog i've asked for a pup.if he's worth putting to stud he's worth having a pup off.only once did i ask for money and that was because the guy wanted to keep all the pups so i asked 50 quid and this was for the service of a black terrier that diamonds wouldn't have got from my yard.

like has already been said money shouldn't come into it.

Looking at the advert with no mention of working ability, I would guess that the dog must be known for throwing pretty looking lurchers.

Well if that is so and people are stupid enough to pay the guy 500 quid then I can only say that many lurchers will go the same way as most of the kennel club shite.

I paid £250 for 'Glen' Strike while the irons hot, as a stud, and I have to say I got a cracking litter, 6 boys and 5 girls and mostly blue's which is what I was after,

also he complemented my bitch so perfectly, I was really happy with the mating, so money very well spent :D for the right dog I would pay £500 for a stud.

Good post tina,at the end of the day if the right dog is out there and ur a genuine enough dog man,then £500 is a high but fair price,you only get out what you put back in!!!

if there was a bloodline that i needed or wanted id pay the right price,the money is made back from one litter,if sold if given away to friends that line is yours more or less forever!!!

I paid £250 for 'Glen' Strike while the irons hot, as a stud, and I have to say I got a cracking litter, 6 boys and 5 girls and mostly blue's which is what I was after,

also he complemented my bitch so perfectly, I was really happy with the mating, so money very well spent :D for the right dog I would pay £500 for a stud.

Good post tina,at the end of the day if the right dog is out there and ur a genuine enough dog man,then £500 is a high but fair price,you only get out what you put back in!!!

if there was a bloodline that i needed or wanted id pay the right price,the money is made back from one litter,if sold if given away to friends that line is yours more or less forever!!!

totally agree with you, if you wanted something that bad you'd pay, if Mike Brown said to me that his stud for 'Glen' was £500 I would have paid,

that's because the first time I set eyes on the dog his build, temperment, confirmation, no history of crypto/mono, excel's at his work, right height, perfect colour, previous pups excellent, litter sizes brill, very smart, I just couldn't fault him, he matched my bitch perfect, top dog!

and I'm thrilled with the pups he produced too!

there is no mention of the dogs working ability, its all about money, a once in a life time chance to get the real thing, as has all ready been said steer clear, £450 for border terriers makes me sick.