Ferreting ,today

Just got back in from a days ferreting a big field in front of the farmers house just doing a bit of pest control as they where going into his garden and eating his plants ,We tried to pick the smaller burrows but even then we lost a few poping out the heavy cover from boltholes .Only had a couple of three foot digs and ended up with a even dozen .That should ensure my permission on that farm.

I have been doing the same, been out twice over the last 4 weeks just to show my face to the farmer to keep him sweet for the coming season, had 35 rabbits in two outings and I am going again on sunday to do another set we spotted on the way home next his garden.

The fist time we went 4 weeks ago there was quite a few tiny ones bolting but when we were there on saturday we didn't see any tiny ones, but we did get 2 or 3 small ones(but big enough to get some meat off them).

They where all good sized the smallest three quarters grown .Next door to you Billy had a few off there and it still looks like its never been touched hopefully be able to leave there till the season starts and get a good bag .

Worrying thing though i picked up a half grown rabbit dead and no a mark on it and my partner picked up a smaller one just the same but the crows had opened up the guts

Im planning on getting out in the next week or so if the weather stays as it is, been for a few walks and no starters about from what ive seen. The farm I work is a shoot and im the only person to get permission on there in a very long time, I spoke to the farm hand the other day and he said its over run this year and could do with me there early so as some of you guys have said its better to show your face early and seem keen. I just hope we dont have a last minute summer as the rabbits could all have a late lot of young and that could delay things, then we will all be waiting for the frost. been a starnge old year weather wise but lookin forward to the winter ahead.

Darren

The thing that bothers me is if its a warm autumn you might get a doze of myxi flattening the rabbits you have spent all summer waiting to ferret so get in there and give it a try

From what I've herd but you can't trust the weather man is it's to continue as it is till end of October then a prolonged dry spell in November , so touch wood could be a nice earlly autumn for us I reckon we are due one , will be Christmas come earlly if so .