digging bars

Guest AngelicAcid

Thanks for that Waz, I did think that there would be more input into this type of thread, seems most just use an old garden spade :whistling:

If your only experience was turning over the garden...so would you! :laugh:

On a serious note, wickes sell a digging bar for £12 that does the job nicely.

Has a point on one end and chisel on the other. About 6 ft long so great for levering big stones and slabs on drains :thumbs:

Look at their website.

FTB

The best bar i've ever had was an old twenty foot long quarry chisel cut down to size, i can't put up a picture as i made the mistake of giving most away and leaving the last one at a hunt kennels where it whent missing. The bar has a hole right through the middle to let water through ( to cool the bar whilst quarring ) the hole alowed the sound of the terrier up through the bar with ease.

If anyone can get hold of these bars give me a shout, i had the same bar for more than ten years and it was indestructible.

What do you mean by a quarry chisel? Wasnt it a drill rod for drilling and blasting? What sort of diameter was it, and what size hole up the centre?

Kyle

Guest busterdog

The best bar i've ever had was an old twenty foot long quarry chisel cut down to size, i can't put up a picture as i made the mistake of giving most away and leaving the last one at a hunt kennels where it whent missing. The bar has a hole right through the middle to let water through ( to cool the bar whilst quarring ) the hole alowed the sound of the terrier up through the bar with ease.

If anyone can get hold of these bars give me a shout, i had the same bar for more than ten years and it was indestructible.

What do you mean by a quarry chisel? Wasnt it a drill rod for drilling and blasting? What sort of diameter was it, and what size hole up the centre?

Kyle

The bar had a chisel end so thats what i called it, what it was actualy used for i've no idea. The hole through the centre was roughly about 5 mm and the bar was 20-30mm thick, as i've said i haven't got one anymore so i can't measure it for you. There must be lads on here that have them, i myself copied the idea from someone else.

what i use is a solid steel bar about 40mm thick and 5 feet high one end pointed the end flat with an angle to give leverage when needed its called a pinch bar its heavy but the weight helps do the job,ive also seen a peice of scaffold tube with the head of a pick inside the scaffold tube which is also handy, a crow bar is a about 2 -3 feet long with a hooked end sometimes called a wrecking bar atb

what i use is a solid steel bar about 40mm thick and 5 feet high one end pointed the end flat with an angle to give leverage when needed its called a pinch bar its heavy but the weight helps do the job,ive also seen a peice of scaffold tube with the head of a pick inside the scaffold tube which is also handy, a crow bar is a about 2 -3 feet long with a hooked end sometimes called a wrecking bar atb

40mm solid bar? You must have some arms on you! :icon_eek:

Kyle