toilet trained ferrets

just been reading through some threads and noticed the use of litter trays for ferrets, is this something they take to quite quickly or do they have to be trained to it? the ferrets i have seem to use one corner, so should i just put it there? should i use sand or propper kitty litter? thanks in advance.

mine took to them quite quickly. but, they dont always use them. they will also play in them and put the kitty litter everywhere. i use wood shavings in mine. i would say 70% of the time they use them. and some are better than others like my hob who hardly ever gos anywhere els, but my jill gos any where she wants. i have a big try as i found they dident like the corner ones.

i was told by a guy a while ago about cutting a semi circle hole in the corner of a hutch and covering it with mesh, and when they need to go it drops into a tray underneath (he made it like a drawer system) he said also you can put some disinfectant in the tray to help stop smells. i don't keep my own ferrets so i haven't done it but it sounds good.

i was told by a guy a while ago about cutting a semi circle hole in the corner of a hutch and covering it with mesh, and when they need to go it drops into a tray underneath (he made it like a drawer system) he said also you can put some disinfectant in the tray to help stop smells. i don't keep my own ferrets so i haven't done it but it sounds good.

Then you just have to clean the drawer instead of the cage - whats the advantage?

Then you just have to clean the drawer instead of the cage - whats the advantage?

only a small oven tray size (its only for a small corner) just tip it out