wat people think bout blue hares

Guest salukigreyhounds

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going back 20 or so years , we used to drive up to Amulree (near Crieff) and

let the dogs have a go on the blue Hares. With expeirienced Brown Hare coursing dogs it was like shooting ducks in a barrell . The only advantage the poor feckers had was the rough terrain. But I do remember the Blue ones to be curiously dopey compared to their brown cousins. :blink:

I have been hunting blue hares for over 20 years up on top of the Derbyshire pennines, they may not be as fast as brown hares but the terrain up here is harsh with 15 foot rock strewn ravines criss crossing the moors and it takes a good dog with tough feet to take one once they decend into one of these gullies.

Some times they go to ground in drainage holes too when hard pressed. Out on open moorland they are reasonably easy prey for a big fast dog. The pleasure in hunting this quarry for me is the surroundings,. beautifull views and total isolation. I like to work my bitch off the lead letting her follow scent then running after the combatants to follow the course keeps you fit too

Guest scotch deerhound
We have the red irish hare over here. They can give a dog a good run, but id say they are the same as the blue hare.

Never coursed a brown before, from what ive seen, they beet them hands down. ;)

Frank.

that is a totally incorrect statement absolute rubbish

We have the red irish hare over here. They can give a dog a good run, but id say they are the same as the blue hare.

Frank.

Explain yourself sir? :hmm:

Frank.

Don't know what hares you run Frank :) I've run them both, try running them Irish hares the next few weeks single on good land, where their escape routes are five bar gates, impenetrable ditches sheep wire, roads. then tell me they are an inferior hare. Not taking anything from the brown hare great mammalian athlete :clapper: : but so is the Irish hare :thumbs-up:

I agree Bran and in no way was i putting the irish hare down :no:

I have run a few and they give the dog a good run, but, from what i have seen, not my dogs, other folks dogs , the brown hare is the hard hare to beet in january. ;)

Frank.

Frank.

Scotch deerhound, if your going to say something like that atleast try and back up your argument with stories ect.

what use is you saying that to anyone?

Guest scotch deerhound
Don't know what hares you run Frank :) I've run them both, try running them Irish hares the next few weeks single on good land, where their escape routes are five bar gates, impenetrable ditches sheep wire, roads. then tell me they are an inferior hare. Not taking anything from the brown hare great mammalian athlete :clapper: : but so is the Irish hare :thumbs-up:

sorry for the delay feeding dogs but from what ive seen the irish hare has ran the best of lurchers to an absolute standstill a pack of foot hounds from england came to ireland and hunted in wexford for a number of days i cant recall exactly how long they stayed in all the days of hunting they got many runs but no hares caught this from a pack catching a huge amount of brown hares

Exactly Hob & Jill. ;)

Thanks,

Frank.

sorry for the delay feeding dogs but from what ive seen the irish hare has ran the best of lurchers to an absolute standstill a pack of foot hounds from england came to ireland and hunted in wexford for a number of days i cant recall exactly how long they stayed in all the days of hunting they got many runs but no hares caught this from a pack catching a huge amount of brown hares

I would love to see a dog get outrun with a irish hare, against a strong January brown hare. :yes:

Frank.

Guest scotch deerhound
Exactly Hob & Jill. ;)

Thanks,

Frank.

I would love to see a dog get outrun with a irish hare, against a strong January brown hare. :yes:

Frank.

where are you getting this from if you havent even coursed a brown

Exactly Hob & Jill. ;)

Thanks,

Frank.

Frank.

where are you getting this from if you havent even coursed a brown

have you been hunting the irish hare long .,or have you even been at greyhound open coursing for a look not at all looking for a row rarely post just enjoy the read but just thought this was mad

I have hunted the irish hare a good bit in the past. I have seen courses with the brown hare in the Uk on a good few occasions.

I love both hares and like yourself, i am not looking for an argumant.

Im just giving my personall experiences.

Frank.

Guest scotch deerhound
I have hunted the irish hare a good bit in the past. I have seen courses with the brown hare in the Uk on a good few occasions.

I love both hares and like yourself, i am not looking for an argumant.

Im just giving my personall experiences.

Frank.

fair enough just thought id give my view the irish hare is in my opinion an massive challenge of a dog on the ground in which i hunt where the fields are of poor quality small and broken up with loads of obsticles which the hares make quite easy work of i have seen amany types of lurcher run these hares in different conditions and they are a difficult quarry once hey get going at all i would also like to state that i really try to give the hare every chance as they are limited and why kill your own sport so on the lamp i am sure they are easy but i dont partake in such a wastefull practice