need help with my hard drive

My hard drive is full for some reason I have deleted all non essential data/programs, run cclean, scrapped system restore points, defragged, everything!!! When I hover the cursor over the drive it says xgb and so much free. When I go into the drive and hover over the folders my docs says for arguments sake 100gb when I actuall go into the folder and add up how big the subfolders actually are theye are no where near a 100gb mor like 50gb so I seem to have a 50gb file hiding in my docs but I canny find it. Any help greatly appreciated :thumbs:

I used to have the same problem and this fixed it for me. Don't know if it will for you but here goes:

1: Go to my computer.

2: Click the right mouse button on the icon of the drive you want to make space on, I am assuming it is your C: drive.

3: Click the left button on the Properties button on the menu that pops up.

4: Click on the Disk Cleanup button on the properties menu that pops up.

5: Click on the Clean up system files button on the Disk Cleanup for (Drive Letter) menu that pops up.

6: Click on the More Options tab on the Disk Cleanup for (Drive Letter) menu that pops up

7: Click on the Clean up... button in the System Restore and Shadow Copies section.

8: Click the Delete button on the confirmation prompt that appears.

9: Click the Ok button on the Disk Cleanup for (Drive Letter) menu.

10:Click the Delete button on the confirmation prompt that appears.

and the computer should display a disk clean window showing the completion percentage of the disk clean.

This is on a Windows 7 computer but it is nearly the same with Vista.

Hope this helps.

cheers Callum

Edited by mangy1983

Yep tried that mate :thumbs:

How big is the total Hard Drive because I'm just wondering if it could be your File Allocation Table if you formatted your drive with FAT or your New Type Filing System table if you formatted your drive using NTFS. I have a 1TB hard drive and l lose just over 30GB to these filing tables.

You could also check that you are not allowing your computer to use up physical memory through virtual memory as this also come out of your hard drive.

cheers Callum

Have you viewed all the hidden files on your PC Kye? Depending on how much you download, there's usually a multitude of old application data, old update data, etc squirrelled away in there!

You say you've used CCleaner, have you tried using the advanced settings on there to remove this type of crap? I'm sure there's an option for it.. :hmm:

If it is a worst case scenario you could have errors in some of the sectors in your hard drive.

To fix or check your hard drive go to its manufacturers website and in most cases but not all you can get a downloadable program that can check this and fix this.

Another easy mistake that can be made is you said that you deleted all non essential data but did you empty your Recycle Tray afterwards?

cheers Callum

Just tried clicking all the advanced boxes then running an analysis on mine, would have removed 440 odd MB. Nothing like the scale of what you seem to need to get rid of. :hmm: You could try doing a clean up of your system restore points, I've read they can take up a huge amount of your HD. :yes: