2 dogs

I currently have a 14week old gsp, he does bark quite a bit, I was considering getting another dog to work with him and keep him company. I would prefer another hpr, such as a weimaraner or vizsla, would the barking stop? I have been advised against it, some oppinions please.

no experience of training gun dogs at all mate,but i once brought on two lurcher pups,never again just to much time and commitment to get them both to a good working standard and always tended to favour one over the other,as for the barking,you never know might end up with two yappers,jmo,good luck with what ever you decide :thumbs:

I currently have a 14week old gsp, he does bark quite a bit, I was considering getting another dog to work with him and keep him company. I would prefer another hpr, such as a weimaraner or vizsla, would the barking stop? I have been advised against it, some oppinions please.

do you know why the pup is barking is it because its alone, try puting a radio in with it and just leave it on low the pup will think people are near. it may just grow out of it but my brothers pointerxlab never did and was extremely distructive (chewed right through the kitchen door at bout 6mnths) and a spray collar was used to great effect. or sneaking up on the pup with a water pistol but dont let the dog see you if possible. noise = water from nowhere so il b quiet and dry. bringing on 2 dogs is very hard work unless you have loads of time to spend, did it once with a cocker and a lurcher never again. hope some of this helps .

all the best.

steve

The dog is 14 weeks old it is not unusual that it barks, this will pass with time if you raise it normally ie. give him what he needs which is not necessarily what he wants.

There is no need to have a second dog if you have a good GSP unless you hunt really really big fields in which case they can hunt as a pair covering more ground in less time.

It may look as if 2 dogs will cost relatively less time than 1 but the opposite is true, 2 dogs will cost you more than twice the time of only 1 dog. Particularly if they are both puppies and both need to be trained. It is very difficult to keep an eye on two youngsters at the same time and you will constantly be battling against their prey drive which is hard to cope with if you are all by yourself.

If this is your first HPR do not take a second dog before this one is fully trained and adult. Period.