ferret coughing HELP

Kept hearing a cough coming from our court we found the ferret in question our best worker a silver jill called daisey looked down her throat that was as clear as a bell by the sounds of the cough it sounded like a hairball so we gave her some anti hairball paste for a couple of days still no joy so my daughter took her to the vets on monday the vet said after £40 it may be a throat infection it may be lungworm or it may be something stuck ? she gave us a week of antibiotics to see if it would rule the infection query out

the ferret is still coughing it sounds like she is trying to cough something up she doesnt cough all the time maybe 3 times a day for about 5 mins at a time but its a deep chesty sounding cough and it is really upseting my daughter cos although the ferrets are workers she treats them like her babies and after loosing her 13yr old polecat jill this year to old age my daughter is really panicing the ferret in question seems well enough in herself running/climbing around and she is also eating fine also all the other 10 ferrets in the court are fine and dont have this cough we have never come across this before in all our years of keeping ferrets does anybody have any idea what this might be before she goes back to the vets on monday and to be quite honest i dont think the vet has a clue THANKS ALL

mines give the odd cough when there eating dry but its not prolonged just occasionaly.i would say if its healthy and running about maybe its nothing to much to worry about.tell you what i used to do with greyhounds after a race to get shot of sand and stuff.was get a bottle of glycerine you will find it amongst the food colourings and vanilla essence shit.get a syringe and squirt a small amount down there throat.certainly helped the greys.thats what i would do,and yea vets are pretty useless well some of them are.hope u get it sorted matey

see you are in sussex i have kits for sale in east sussex if you interested to replace the poley that died and mine always cough after food normaly straw or saw dust u can see it when u look in cause might be in biot fare try a soother :whistling: :whistling:

mines give the odd cough when there eating dry but its not prolonged just occasionaly.i would say if its healthy and running about maybe its nothing to much to worry about.tell you what i used to do with greyhounds after a race to get shot of sand and stuff.was get a bottle of glycerine you will find it amongst the food colourings and vanilla essence shit.get a syringe and squirt a small amount down there throat.certainly helped the greys.thats what i would do,and yea vets are pretty useless well some of them are.hope u get it sorted matey

Be really careful with this idea, it's all too easy to drown a ferret when syringe feeding etc.

Be really careful with this idea, it's all too easy to drown a ferret when syringe feeding etc.

NO OFFENSE but you would need to be a f*****g idiot to do that

Its deffinatly a cough not a wheeze and her nose and eyes are fine we are feeding same as always rabbit/pigeon/squirrel from the freezer feeding them in

the evening when cooled down and taking any leftovers out the next morning or if we have got back from work late and forgot to

get anything out the freezer we give them jwb dry food ? what i cant understand is all the other 10 ferts in the court are fine

with no cough thats why we dont think its food related ? and we have feed this way for donkeys years which is why it dont make sense

I have two ( out of 15 ) that cough a few times a day and i know the sound you describe.. ferrets do suffer from allergies and my mate also has one that cost a good few quid at two vets before finding out it was the ferret equivalent of hayfever..

gave a few drops on the vets advice of Pireton liquid ( meant for kids ) and he has been fine since.

Ask you vets advice though to be sure its safe if they have already prescribed antibiotics.

Edited by ferrety f