desperate advice needed...

I have two jills both gave birth to kits 4 weeks ago now....

last night one of my the jills was perfectly happy and then out of the blue has died... totally gutted!!

The jills have been raising their kits seperately but have lived together all their lives. I put one kit of the dead jill in with the other jill and it looked like she was starting to mother the kit...

there are 10 kits all in all, 5 from both jills. what are people opinions...

thanks.

G

you simply have a few choices, either try getting her to take all the kitts (or some), but risk her abandoning the lot

cull the kitts of the dead jill, far better a humaine death than slowly starving

try hand rearing (can be done, Ive done it before) but need time and dedication

how's the one you tried putting in with the other jill?

At 4 weeks they should fairly into there meat .. so its not a major crisis if you put the dead jills kits in with the other jill .. with the meat being introduced it will take the pressure off the jill a little .. i cant remember how old they are before they start to lap but as soon as they do offer them some lactol or similar

naturally the jill will milk feed less as they get older so if she takes to them for this next few weeks & only feeds a little .. she will still mother them & discipline them ... as long as they are getting plenty of meat & whatever milk they still need i cant see them coming to any harm

Just watch the goings on in the cage & act accordingly

Thanks for the replys. I have put them all together and they seem fine. The kits were already starting to eat meat so hopefully that will help the jill.

I will keep you posted.

thanks.

G

Nice one ..hope it all works out :thumbs: