transporting jill & kitts

hi there i'm going to colect a hob jill and 5 kitts on monday! the question is will the jill be ok traveling with the kitts or will she kill them i don't no whether to seperate them or not then will she accept them back once in new surroundings? many thanks in advance :thumbs:

hi there i'm going to colect a hob jill and 5 kitts on monday! the question is will the jill be ok traveling with the kitts or will she kill them i don't no whether to seperate them or not then will she accept them back once in new surroundings? many thanks in advance :thumbs:

what age are the kits that you going to collect?

there less than a week old as far as i no wullie

then that makes it =vert risky, if there is nothing you can do but take them at this age i would say remove the jill and put her out off sight whille you remove herkits and most of the bedding so she knows the smell then keeep a close eye on her when you put them into there new housing but id recon you will loose between 50-75 of the kits.

then that makes it =vert risky, if there is nothing you can do but take them at this age i would say remove the jill and put her out off sight whille you remove herkits and most of the bedding so she knows the smell then keeep a close eye on her when you put them into there new housing but id recon you will loose between 50-75 of the kits.

so would i just be better off hand rearing the kits i would;nt like to lose any of them but the guy wants rid the now! thanks a lot wullie :thumbs:

so would i just be better off hand rearing the kits i would;nt like to lose any of them but the guy wants rid the now! thanks a lot wullie :thumbs:

at thatage you would find it impossable to hand rear, thay would prob have to be about 4 wks cant you take the guys full hutch with them?

at thatage you would find it impossable to hand rear, thay would prob have to be about 4 wks cant you take the guys full hutch with them?

i'll try and find out tomorrow

I'd take the jill out then try and lift as much of the old bedding with the kitts in it as possible then after youve put them in the new hutch leave them alone with some food and see if she's settled in .also if its a first time mother you might get more problems a older jill thats had kitts before will know how to look after her kitts

I'd take the jill out then try and lift as much of the old bedding with the kitts in it as possible then after youve put them in the new hutch leave them alone with some food and see if she's settled in .also if its a first time mother you might get more problems a older jill thats had kitts before will know how to look after her kitts

ok cheers :victory:

The only way to move them is take the jill out of the cage put her in a box. Take the whole cage without moving the kits relocate the cage in your garden and put the jill back in with the kits.She wont evan know they've been moved.If that can't be done leave them where they are.P1

I got a jill with 3 kits off somebody on here a few weeks ago in cumbria, I live in middlesbrough. It was an hour and a half trip back with the kits and everything was fine.

The kits were 3 weeks old at the time and I transported the kits and the jill together in a box with the origonal bedding from the hutch.

The jill I picked up was really good and was letting the previous owner pick the kits up from a very small age, I think this helped the situation her being so trusting.

I would say leave it as long as you can and if you have no other option but to move them, move them together and put all of the nest and bedding in with them during transit.

Good luck, and I hope everything goes ok.