what age to line a bitch

I guess its all down to personal choice re the bitch.

I personally am not happy mating a bitch under 2 years of age.

With the stud dogs its difficult to say.Obviously fertility and semen quality does decrease with age,and it also depends on how often or hard the dog has been worked (stud wise).I have known some dogs loose fertility at 8 or 9 years of age and others carry on producing viable semen right up to the age of 13 or 14.The interesting point though is that the quality of pups that a stud produces is not age related ,so there is no reason that at 10 years old dog,providing he is still fertile,cannot produce pups with the same vigour as those which he sired at 2 years of age.

i think at 4 years old minumum for a bitch and also a dog.

at least by then they are both mature and have enough work done to justify the breeding.

i.e. both are proven.

for breeding older then 8 years for a bitch and 10 years old for a dog.

as i think if the bitch at that stage of her life has had a few litters and worked hard then she has done enough graft and deserves some peace and relaxation for the last few years of her life.

Edited by supersam

my way of thinking a bitch should be coming to the end of her working life giving 4/5 season graft and tested on game to be worth breding off . then you got to find a dog that can do the job and throw good offspring. after that its down genetics whether the genetics click. you can put good to good and end up with shite or end up with the best thing since slice bread. its all down to genetics at the end of the day. only one in a 100 will be worth a bowl of feed and only 1 in 10.000 will be worth breeding off just my opinion.

Edited by the dugs baws1

can a single thread on thl go without morons taking the piss and putting up stupid replys?

seems like it cant!

a bitch after 4-5 seasons of hard work is not at the end of her working life as the dugs baws1 says.

a bitch or dog at this age is olnly at its prime and has a few hard years work ahead of it.

• Like 1

can a single thread on thl go without morons taking the piss and putting up stupid replys?

seems like it cant!

a bitch after 4-5 seasons of hard work is not at the end of her working life as the dugs baws1 says.

a bitch or dog at this age is olnly at its prime and has a few hard years work ahead of it.

so a dog at 7year old is in its prime ? and i said" coming to the end of her working life" yes you will get another few seasons graft out the bitch .by the time the pups up and running the bitch will be coming on 9 year old and ready 4 a bit of r&r . so why is that a stupid reply ? :snack:

Guest fence_hopper

A bitch should be bred from once whe has proved her worth to breed from but you have to be 100% honest with yourself ...but everymans 100% is differant

totaly agree with the old git :feck:

seems like it cant!

everybody noes when to breed a bitch, its the thl morons what ask the questions like these, if you have to ask when to breed your own dog then you obviously need a kick in the teeth :wallbash:.. it dont matter what all yous tell people they gonna breed it when they want to anyway, but back on topic id say when a dog has proved its self over and over again for 4+ seasons.

This is a very interesting question and one that can only be answered by the owner of the bitch, also the standard of the bitch should be taken into consideration when we decide to breed from her, and also the time spent on her quarry is of vital importance. A good three years of steady work should be enough for the owner to ascertain the information that’s required to go ahead and breed her. The same standards apply to the dog.

We all have different standards when it comes to our dogs, and if a man is happy with his standard of the bitch then I don’t see why he can’t breed a decent litter from her. I also think that we might be better served if we as dog men where to remove the rose tinted classes that we see our own dogs through.