making lurchers

I believe genetics plays a big part , working parents , bred to catch ,will pass on those genes to their pups, those genes the ability to catch is upmost in all top class dogs,

On the other hand , no bog standard greyhound produced today, no matter what its won , is ever born to catch, likewise no collie no matter how smart was ever produced to do the work of a top class running dog the genes are not there,

Having bred first x's in the past and perfect good dogs in there own right, are just not in the same league as a purpose bred animal, there just seems to be an inbred sense of timing and striking ability in good lurcher x lurcher,,thats my opinion for what its worth , best of luck,,

Dont agree with that at all,,,striking ability or timing isn't inbred its learnt by doing....the more access the dog has to game the better it will become...dogs overtime develope their own style of striking it comes with experience :icon_eek:

well undisputed at one stage i thought i could make it as a professional ball player, just keep practising over and over it seemed that was all that was needed, but in the dog world the same as our own , we are not all born equal, different mutts will exell at different aspects, some will always hit quarry badly and get tagged some will always strike right and cleanly, im hunting too long , to know that all dogs were not born with the same abilities, yes dogs will improve in time with practise, but some are just born with terrific ability from the outset,,

Have had good first x's , but i know if i could have hunted them from now till hell freezes over, they would never be as sharp as dogs i've had just out of puppyhood, with terrific ability to lift bunnies or whatever,,,best of luck

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

intresting topic everybody will have opinion for me as a good allrounder thats a dog that will do daytime hares work with ferrets and lamp the few dogs i have had over the years that have done this h

I believe genetics plays a big part , working parents , bred to catch ,will pass on those genes to their pups, those genes the ability to catch is upmost in all top class dogs, On the other hand , n

I believe genetics plays a big part , working parents , bred to catch ,will pass on those genes to their pups, those genes the ability to catch is upmost in all top class dogs,

On the other hand , no bog standard greyhound produced today, no matter what its won , is ever born to catch, likewise no collie no matter how smart was ever produced to do the work of a top class running dog the genes are not there,

Having bred first x's in the past and perfect good dogs in there own right, are just not in the same league as a purpose bred animal, there just seems to be an inbred sense of timing and striking ability in good lurcher x lurcher,,thats my opinion for what its worth , best of luck,,

What a great post. You put into words what I always think about and want to say. There is just something about a dog that knows how to catch and kill fluidly. Folks that have never seen will never understand. No over running it, no fighting it...just catch and kill. Awesome! Once again, great post.

believe me a greyhound that will kill toothed quarry on a regular basis is a very rare find! imo

I agree 100%. Folks that think they will kill over and over again are dreamers. They will quit.......and quit fast on my yard. I have only seen one dog that never quit....every other one has quit. The more greyhound thats in them.....the faster it shows.

well undisputed at one stage i thought i could make it as a professional ball player, just keep practising over and over it seemed that was all that was needed, but in the dog world the same as our own , we are not all born equal, different mutts will exell at different aspects, some will always hit quarry badly and get tagged some will always strike right and cleanly, im hunting too long , to know that all dogs were not born with the same abilities, yes dogs will improve in time with practise, but some are just born with terrific ability from the outset,,

Have had good first x's , but i know if i could have hunted them from now till hell freezes over, they would never be as sharp as dogs i've had just out of puppyhood, with terrific ability to lift bunnies or whatever,,,best of luck

:thumbs: You are on point today son! :thumbs:

:thumbs: You are on point today son! :thumbs:

:notworthy: ...You have seen things the same way I have... :thumbs:

Take care.

believe me a greyhound that will kill toothed quarry on a regular basis is a very rare find! imo

I agree 100%. Folks that think they will kill over and over again are dreamers. They will quit.......and quit fast on my yard. I have only seen one dog that never quit....every other one has quit. The more greyhound thats in them.....the faster it shows.

Dan why dont you tell us how many GHs youve handled :blink: Real greyhounds. When you come up with a number I'll tell you how many walker coonhounds I've owned,,,,,,holy shit :icon_eek: With the last few post on here I cant believe the shit I'm reading.

Dont agree with that at all,,,striking ability or timing isn't inbred its learnt by doing....the more access the dog has to game the better it will become...dogs overtime develope their own style of striking it comes with experience :icon_eek:

Your opinion is probably influenced by the type of dogs you bring on/run,if its mainly collie x's f1's or 3/4 youre right they do need to learn from scratch,feck all natural ability,been there done it,but if you watch a well bred lurcher x lurcher or a good saluki hybrid type they have natural ability from the off,7,000 yrs of breeding[in the case of a saluki] will tend to "fix" the good traits into a dog wont it?

Dan why dont you tell us how many GHs youve handled :blink: Real greyhounds. When you come up with a number I'll tell you how many walker coonhounds I've owned,,,,,,holy shit :icon_eek: With the last few post on here I cant believe the shit I'm reading.

I will when you tell me how many you have actually hunted and hunted for "Real". :whistling:

Your opinion is probably influenced by the type of dogs you bring on/run,if its mainly collie x's f1's or 3/4 youre right they do need to learn from scratch,feck all natural ability,been there done it,but if you watch a well bred lurcher x lurcher or a good saluki hybrid type they have natural ability from the off,7,000 yrs of breeding[in the case of a saluki] will tend to "fix" the good traits into a dog wont it?

very interesting topic lads ,most sight hounds are ancient breeds,proven dog across proven dog,what ever the breeds,then your half way there,i think you get stupid and clever ,like us in all litters.

Why do I get the feeling that some folks would rather breed a collie or a terrier or whatever you name it to some junk ass greyhound bitch that never was fast nor any good, rather than breeding to a sound lurcher that was plenty fast and had all the tools already? I could never in my life think breeding to some junk ass dog just cause it held the title "GREYHOUND". Who gives a tinkers cuss about that anyhow? There are plenty of good "lurchers" out there that can outrun them junk ass reject greyhounds.............and they will stay sound and kill better so why do folks continue to do this when its not necessary?

Now, if a greyhound is extremely fast and sound and can do the job as good or better than any of the lurchers near you then by all means get with it cause you really have a jewel there and something to be extremely proud of.

i think the reason is speed and that greyhounds can be easy to come by. and the thinking that by putting a grey in the cross will make them faster in an F1 than a lucher to whatever breed surposadly. thats just my understanding.

but i can't see the point in breeding from any dog unless it has proven it's self no matter the breed or breeds in it

Edited by cathunter

I will when you tell me how many you have actually hunted and hunted for "Real". :whistling:

Easly over a dozen myself and hunted with another 2 dozen that friends owned on a regular basis. So lets hear it Mr. "Internet Sighthound" :whistling: sing me a song.

I have been around and owned countless number of greyhound type dogs throughout my life and even at more than 10 years younger than your old ass I would hazard a guess that I have caught more critters in the last two years than you have in your life.......BIOTCH!