Last minute thought.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes . . . lamping as pest control, as an after thought at 2am. . . . . are you sure you weren't just bored and couldn't help yourself?

Ideation, it was a bit of both really. Had a call the day before from the estate, I said I would go, and the chat was that exciting that i couldn't sleep, and also i was getting bullied in there.... :whistling: so off i went.

Good trainig for the pup Ideation.

:victory:

Fair play matey, when its got to be done its got to be done, just the way you put it originally it sounded like you just went out cos you fancied a shine and were a bit bored, which is your call but i find a bit. . . . .well . . . . .

out of interest, and this aint meant as a dig, were they all adult rabbits?

atb

Jai.

There were mainly bucks and some old ones too i might add amongst them Jai, and the milkly does, so a mixed bag of age.

To be honest sometimes the farmers see 5 rabbits and call you to tell you they are riddled with them, to only find your struggling to make a bag. So I was susprised to see how many there was out, and it was a good session for the pup.

im suprised dogs toes are sound with ground been hard as iron.

so would you put your dog at risk of serious injury if farmer phoned you ?

Putting my dog at risk?

Been in this game long enough to see what risks there are chap, and when and when not to use the dogs. Ground isn't hard at all here. Had plenty of rain, only the last few days its been warm. I have rifles that i can use Ilumarcus, and I have a pup to bring on. My interest is in my pup. If the ground was solid here, then id use other options.

Lads lads lads, oh and Hannah :tongue2: milky does or not, when there's a job to do "Pest Control" i think it's called then it must be done.

I have friends who have lost permission this time of year because they refused to go and run/shoot rabbits because of milky does. I have picked up more permission through people refusing to control the rabbits. The farmers are very quick to say adios :yes: Rabbits cause a serious mess this time of year, and i would not like my crops eaten, and i would be relying on my pest controllers to control them.

It keeps me and my dogs fit, as well as normal road walking and general mooching off the leads. When i get that call from Mr Farmer, if I'm not busy i will attend. Everyone is happy, i keep my permission. Now if we are talking deers, then i would say "NO", but most farmers wouldn't ask for that, not around here anyway.

Out of those 13 rabbits my dogs caught, there were 5 milky does. Maybe next time i'll ask me dogs when running down the beam, to kindly stop, then ask the rabbits what sex they are and if they are carrying, before they snap them up.

Let the debate begin....

well said mate and that way you will have a good pup next year because you took him out for a couple of race,s fair play to you :thumbs:

i wonder just how many pest controlers there really is on this site

so youve never slipped a youngster on a leveret then vick youve always waited for the real good uns in january :clapper:

done alot of things to get a young dog a run, but i wouldnt come on a open forum and get excited over it.

im suprised dogs toes are sound with ground been hard as iron.

so would you put your dog at risk of serious injury if farmer phoned you ?

what you going on about. they run salukis in the far east on groung nearly as hard as concrete and what about the people over in america running lurchers aswell where the ground is rock solid. even when it was the winter over here people were going on about it being too frosty for there dogs and the ground being hard. a had ma dog running nearly every day in the winter because it was a pup and a was doing a lot ferreting a bushing with it to bring it on. out in the bad snow and bad frosty days and not one injury to its feet.

Why all the negativity???Is it because the poster is arctic???.....I forgot we're all whiter than white ain't we :no: If it's pest control or bringing a pup on...both valid reasons to be lamping in May imo!!When my bitch was a pup i ran her quite regular in the "breeding months" she needed bringing on simple as...this will always be a contensious topic :yes: Feel free to shot me down i've got skin like a rhino :thumbs: ....John

dont bother with lamping during the summer months ,cant be bothered .plenty of daylight to catch a rabbit or two if i need to ......oh and ... how long has there been a season for rabbits , ? they arnt on the endanged speciece list ..are they!!!! :hmm: