Birds of prey

fellpack

Im afraid its a trait with falconers and austringers :clapper:

If you read through the posts you will be able to see who knows most on the specific subject/question you need to ask. I know a fair bit on hawks but nothing on falcons, and plenty on here know about falcons if thats your question.

When you work out who will be best, send them a pm, it will stop any arguments that will probably ensue.

Hope this helps

been looking at birds of prey but reading the post over the net it seams they all hate each other so who is the respected and how do you know true advice any experiance

clapper.gifclapper.gifclapper.gif Its a laugh a minute this game pal the way some go on! its a shame as it used to be a good respectible sport but its now getting dragged down hill fast....

there's alot of "Big Willy" stakes to be played by Falconers and breeders these days, why I don't know but from a personal point of view I keep myself to myself and now stay under the Raydar while the Dummy spitting and Handbags are being thrown! the good thing is when I moved house I also had a number change so I don't even have to listen to alot of the bollox on the phone now biggrin.gif........

Jasper

been looking at birds of prey but reading the post over the net it seams they all hate each other so who is the respected and how do you know true advice any experiance

clapper.gifclapper.gifclapper.gif Its a laugh a minute this game pal the way some go on! its a shame as it used to be a good respectible sport but its now getting dragged down hill fast....

there's alot of "Big Willy" stakes to be played by Falconers and breeders these days, why I don't know but from a personal point of view I keep myself to myself and now stay under the Raydar while the Dummy spitting and Handbags are being thrown! the good thing is when I moved house I also had a number change so I don't even have to listen to alot of the bollox on the phone now biggrin.gif........

Jasper

Hi! All, I have Not been on here for a while!!! And that Jasper, is the exact reason! Rather well put if I may say so. :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

me personaly so far most are not die hard hunters just mess about but one day ill meet some one with the real deals and the mentality to go with it

You have not met meny then whin some i have are fanatical about hunting with their birds traveling all over the world to do so i have found a lot who i have hunted with ten times more dedicated to their birds and hunting than your average dog man.

My advice about forum land is trust no one, 80% are just full of shit,spouting what they have read in books or regurgatating other peoples threads and knowledge.Find someone who will let you tag along,prefrebly someone who has flown more than a Harris and learn from them.Ive read so much stuff on forums from guys who sound the bollocks and when you meet them ,they aint :thumbdown: .Some exellent Falconers out there and if im honest i do trust a few ive never met but ill know someone who does know them.The amount of people who comer on forums saying "hi there,im interested in getting into Hawks so im here to learn" then are posting advice for other begginers six months later is frightening.

me personaly so far most are not die hard hunters just mess about but one day ill meet some one with the real deals and the mentality to go with it

You have not met meny then whin some i have are fanatical about hunting with their birds traveling all over the world to do so i have found a lot who i have hunted with ten times more dedicated to their birds and hunting than your average dog man.

You're right, it takes far more dedication to hunt with birds than with dogs, come the season I'm out daily, weather permitting. The only weather that stops me is winds over 30mph and heavy rain, and even then I'll have a go in sheltered woodland until the birds are too wet to fly. I'm out for at the very least 2hrs, usually 4 or more. Some of the land is mountains with very little on it, there are pockets with no vehicular access,I'll walk miles in very tough walking conditions just for the chance of a flight. All that is before all the chores and dedication in maintaining the birds at home, and you can't get just anybody to look after them if you need to be away, even a full day out takes a lot of planing. I ran dogs both day and night for years, so have seen both sides.

Edited by romany52

No offence to anyone, but a "respectable falconer" as you call it might be a mega hunter or whatever is the best status on here, but from my experience most guys I hunt with dont have time to go on forums as they are out with the birds or dogs. The term "armchair hunter" springs to mind. :notworthy:

No offence to anyone, but a "respectable falconer" as you call it might be a mega hunter or whatever is the best status on here, but from my experience most guys I hunt with dont have time to go on forums as they are out with the birds or dogs. The term "armchair hunter" springs to mind. :notworthy:

I've got plenty of time mate, even though it's the off season and the birds are in moult, I'm flying one through the moult and was out 2 1/2 hrs last night and will be out again tonight, you speak for your self mate, you've no idea of my circumstances.

No offence ment pal, I know a few falconers, they fly peregrines, gosses and redtails. One does have a ferrugunous too. I prefer dogs and guns, its just it seems like there are particular people on this forum that seem to want argue, AND I FOR ONE DONT! I joined the falconers forum, much better no arguements. This forum has gone down the pan, I joined because its a great place for buying equipment and finding more hunting buddies, but it seems the no1 place to let off steam. I noticed a lot of newbies come on here for advice and either get told that falconry is give it go type of thing, or get told read books, find a mentor and so-on. It just seems how can you start a thread like this? Like I said before no-offence meant, I`m like the rest of you, bank holiday, missus at work and just having a quick look on here, so I`m sorry if I upset anyone but that is my take on threads like this. This forum used to be brilliant for pictures and little tips such as flying weight, free lofting birds, and so on, its a pitty that it has gone the way it has. ATB lifty.

No offence ment pal, I know a few falconers, they fly peregrines, gosses and redtails. One does have a ferrugunous too. I prefer dogs and guns, its just it seems like there are particular people on this forum that seem to want argue, AND I FOR ONE DONT! I joined the falconers forum, much better no arguements. This forum has gone down the pan, I joined because its a great place for buying equipment and finding more hunting buddies, but it seems the no1 place to let off steam. I noticed a lot of newbies come on here for advice and either get told that falconry is give it go type of thing, or get told read books, find a mentor and so-on. It just seems how can you start a thread like this? Like I said before no-offence meant, I`m like the rest of you, bank holiday, missus at work and just having a quick look on here, so I`m sorry if I upset anyone but that is my take on threads like this. This forum used to be brilliant for pictures and little tips such as flying weight, free lofting birds, and so on, its a pitty that it has gone the way it has. ATB lifty.

No offence taken mate, sorry if it sounded that way, It's just that this time of year I've got time to be on here and get out and do a bit of flying. I like flying early evening this time of year. atb.