Hen sitting for a few hours a day then leaving

I found 11 eggs under a bush a 3 days ago. so I marked the eggs with a pensil and the following day took the fresh egg, leaving the old eggs. she lays an egg every day but each day she sits on the eggs for a longer length of time. today she was sitting for 5 hours and left a new egg behind her and left. Is she slowly becoming broody? or is it normal to sit that long while laying?

I never had hens sit that long while laying before She is silver sussex and this clutch is her first time laying.

Any info or thoughts appreciated

I found 11 eggs under a bush a 3 days ago. so I marked the eggs with a pensil and the following day took the fresh egg, leaving the old eggs. she lays an egg every day but each day she sits on the eggs for a longer length of time. today she was sitting for 5 hours and left a new egg behind her and left. Is she slowly becoming broody? or is it normal to sit that long while laying?

I never had hens sit that long while laying before She is silver sussex and this clutch is her first time laying.

slowy going broody i would say mate

slowy going broody i would say mate

Cheers pal

sounds like she's going broody,if the eggs are fertile and you wish her to hatch them you should be removing them and put a few stone eggs in to fool her untill she's sitting tight,then put all the eggs she is comfortable with back under her in one sitting,I isolate my broody hens in small coops so they are not disturbed by the other birds,atb,wirralman

• 3 weeks later...

best to do it in the dark tends to work better i made a load of single nest boxes put them in the shed where the broody types are kept and when they go broody just put a cover over front of box move to the coop you want em in jobs a good UN

sounds like she's going broody,if the eggs are fertile and you wish her to hatch them you should be removing them and put a few stone eggs in to fool her untill she's sitting tight,then put all the eggs she is comfortable with back under her in one sitting,I isolate my broody hens in small coops so they are not disturbed by the other birds,atb,wirralman

Why would you replace her eggs with stone ones? She wont go down on her eggs 'till she's ready and by leaving her eggs with her she'll turn them her self. Eggs taken away and not looked after can be ruined.

I know with cage birds eggs are removed and then replaced. Thats to insure they all hatch together but a hen wont start incubating till the clutch is complete.

JMHO but to much messing goes on with eggs etc. and it's one of the reasons we now have breeds of birds that won't reproduce naturally and incubators are used to often.