ROOK SHOOTING,,, TH LAW........

Can someone tell me if a rook,crow,magpie or any bird which is a pest within the law is protected by law while it is nesting?

The reason i ask this is that i went on new permission this morning with my mate to a huge rookery at the end of the field,

while we were shooting the branchers a voice from within the rookery shouted out that we were braking the law, The next thing this bloke came out shouting all the odds with us saying that while the rooks were nesting it is against the law for us to be shooting them,

With that i replied that all the eggs in the rookery had hatched and the branchers were trying to fly about, With this he said that as long as the rook was present within the nesting area that we were breaking the law.With that i phoned my farmer friend and told him what this guy had said,He said to take no notice and carry on,,,What do you do? :wallbash: The gentleman refused to move from the rookery until we left saying it was very cruel what we were doing and against the law,,,, With that we had to finish shooting for health & safety reasons as it was to dangerous to carry on, Would be gratefull for some advice.

Cheers, Steve.

Steve.

Can someone tell me if a rook,crow,magpie or any bird which is a pest within the law is protected by law while it is nesting?

The reason i ask this is that i went on new permission this morning with my mate to a huge rookery at the end of the field,

while we were shooting the branchers a voice from within the rookery shouted out that we were braking the law, The next thing this bloke came out shouting all the odds with us saying that while the rooks were nesting it is against the law for us to be shooting them,

With that i replied that all the eggs in the rookery had hatched and the branchers were trying to fly about, With this he said that as long as the rook was present within the nesting area that we were breaking the law.With that i phoned my farmer friend and told him what this guy had said,He said to take no notice and carry on,,,What do you do? :wallbash: The gentleman refused to move from the rookery until we left saying it was very cruel what we were doing and against the law,,,, With that we had to finish shooting for health & safety reasons as it was to dangerous to carry on, Would be gratefull for some advice.

Cheers, Steve.

Steve.

First things first. I think I'd have determined who the bloke was, was he trespassing ? (right to roam doesnt allow him to hang around in the trees). If he didnt have reason to be there and everything was above board you could have called the police and told them there was somebody interfering with a legal shoot (turn the tableson them for a change). Alternatively you could have just advised your farmer to dish out some farmer justice !!!!!!

Taken from the relevant Welsh general licence:

This licence allows authorised persons to kill or take certain birds, damage or destroy their nests or eggs. This must be to prevent the spread of disease and serious damage to livestock, food for livestock, crops, vegetables, fruit, growing timber, fisheries or inland waters only

Licence can be obtained here: http://wales.gov.uk/topics/environmentcountryside/consmanagement/conservationbiodiversity/wildlifelicences/wildlifelicences/?lang=en

I suggest you download a copy for future reference. :thumbs:

This licence allows authorised persons to kill or take certain birds, damage or destroy their nests or eggs. This must be to prevent the spread of disease and serious damage to livestock, food for livestock, crops, vegetables, fruit, growing timber, fisheries or inland waters only

Licence can be obtained here: http://wales.gov.uk/topics/environmentcountryside/consmanagement/conservationbiodiversity/wildlifelicences/wildlifelicences/?lang=en

Thanks for the advice guys,,, All i know is if you picture the scene 2 fields opposite each other,Straight down the middle of the 2 fields is a stream,This is a boundry,,,,Now according to the farmer i had the permission off everything on his land including the rookery is his,But everything on the otherside of the stream is this eco worriors land and from what ive been told this has happened before with someone else that he diliberatly goes out to his boundry and sometimes with a few of his eco mates an just be a total menace not only to the farmer who wants the rooks removed but to everyone else he gives permission to to shoot on his land,And as he is not tresspassing on the farmers land and staying his side of the boundry there is nothing i can do but to inform my farmer friend as it is out of my hands and i dont fancy getting into a brawl with these people as it isnt worth it, I think i will stay away and let the farmer sort it out.....

Steve. :drink:

Thanks for the advice guys,,, All i know is if you picture the scene 2 fields opposite each other,Straight down the middle of the 2 fields is a stream,This is a boundry,,,,Now according to the farmer i had the permission off everything on his land including the rookery is his,But everything on the otherside of the stream is this eco worriors land and from what ive been told this has happened before with someone else that he diliberatly goes out to his boundry and sometimes with a few of his eco mates an just be a total menace not only to the farmer who wants the rooks removed but to everyone else he gives permission to to shoot on his land,And as he is not tresspassing on the farmers land and staying his side of the boundry there is nothing i can do but to inform my farmer friend as it is out of my hands and i dont fancy getting into a brawl with these people as it isnt worth it, I think i will stay away and let the farmer sort it out.....

Steve. :drink:

Do Rooks actually do much damage?

I have seen some rookeries totally shot out, extinct, and i must confess that i can see little reason for it really.

Maybe this is what the "eco-warrier" was thinking, maybe he just likes them and has no wish to see their chicks shot on the branches?

Theres always two sides to the arguement.... :victory: JD

go down start shooting once you hit a kill shot then start on the rooks hahahawhistling.gif

I think the reason is the trees that has the rookery overhang over the stream and over his land and i think that when we shoot them they fall and land straight onto his field,And thats why he does not like us being there and i have said to him that all birds will be picked up off his land and disposed of,But he is not having any of that as he will do me for tresspassing,So decided to leave well alone and let the farmer sort it out, Got plenty of othr places to go.

steve. :notworthy:

Do Rooks actually do much damage?

I have seen some rookeries totally shot out, extinct, and i must confess that i can see little reason for it really.

Maybe this is what the "eco-warrier" was thinking, maybe he just likes them and has no wish to see their chicks shot on the branches?

Theres always two sides to the arguement.... :victory: JD

Have you seen what damage rooks can do to some wheat fields, they go down the rows pecking the shoots out and eating the seed.

go down start shooting once you hit a kill shot then start on the rooks hahahawhistling.gif

I think the reason is the trees that has the rookery overhang over the stream and over his land and i think that when we shoot them they fall and land straight onto his field,And thats why he does not like us being there and i have said to him that all birds will be picked up off his land and disposed of,But he is not having any of that as he will do me for tresspassing,So decided to leave well alone and let the farmer sort it out, Got plenty of othr places to go.

steve. :notworthy:

so when you shoot in the trees at the rooks and kill them the fall on his fields, surely they must be over hanging his land then, if so they belong to him, so you know whats on his land if you miss, there aint any back stops at the tops of trees, as soon as your pellet goes on his land your breaking the law,

JD I'm sure you posted the same last year at this time after a thread or two about shooting branchers, as you say there is always two sides to everything. I personally think saying that they "don't do much damage" is a little off the mark. When I go to my pens in earlly July I can a no doubt will again be greeted by clouds of the fecking things leaving from around the pens feeders, I'd estimate it costs us in exsess of £1500 every year in the pellets they eat. Add this to the seed they root up on the drillings, eating some while exposing other bits for the pigeons to clean up, then there's the sheep feed bags that they and the jacks seam to enjoy poking holes in every top bag on the pallets to again fill there bellys at our expense. Add all this up over a mear 4000 acre the figures sharp add up...

I think the main point here is, if your pellet / bullet is going off of the permission onto somebody elses land then it is unlawful.

It's a very important point granted, but the main issue was whether or not it was legal to shoot young rooks, and the answer is yes...

I think the main point here is, if your pellet / bullet is going off of the permission onto somebody elses land then it is unlawful.

It's a very important point granted, but the main issue was whether or not it was legal to shoot young rooks, and the answer is yes...

Agreed.