unidentified terrier...help?

I suggested what i did because by the sound of it the dog makes a bid for freedom because of his desire to hunt, hes hunting for himself because its the only way he knows how. He doesnt know to work WITH his owner. A bit of ratting in a 'controlled' environment (like a barn as suggested) IMO (which doesnt really count for shit) would be beneficial as it would teach the dog to listen to his owner and work with him. Not to mention melow the dog out a bit. Any dog with a high prey drive will ignore the recall if it is hot on the trail of its quarry UNLESS it knows working with you is the most successfull way to hunt. Conditioning a dogs response like this is acheived through both dog and owner woring together. So ill say again, for what my opinions worth, showing this little tyke how successfull working WITH and listening to his owner is will probably go a long way to improving your relationship. But as we all know, training dogs isnt as 'black n white' as that.

well said, and a good point made! :thumbs::toast:

I suggested what i did because by the sound of it the dog makes a bid for freedom because of his desire to hunt, hes hunting for himself because its the only way he knows how. He doesnt know to work WITH his owner. A bit of ratting in a 'controlled' environment (like a barn as suggested) IMO (which doesnt really count for shit) would be beneficial as it would teach the dog to listen to his owner and work with him. Not to mention melow the dog out a bit. Any dog with a high prey drive will ignore the recall if it is hot on the trail of its quarry UNLESS it knows working with you is the most successfull way to hunt. Conditioning a dogs response like this is acheived through both dog and owner woring together. So ill say again, for what my opinions worth, showing this little tyke how successfull working WITH and listening to his owner is will probably go a long way to improving your relationship. But as we all know, training dogs isnt as 'black n white' as that.

well said, and a good point made! :thumbs::toast:

Not knocking anyone elses advice, just thats my take on things. More obedience training wont hurt of course either.

cheers for the advice fellas, been out with him this evening on his long lead and did some recall after running him for an hour chasing his toy and letting him have a sniff in some empty burrys etc. (btw i wouldnt run him on a car, i was just joking about his general fitness being good).

he was much better than i was expecting tbh especially since my neighbour had her horses in my field aswel. he didnt pull at the end of the lead even once. am going to try this every day now for a while as based on today i can see a probable improvement.

i have had him over a year, but due to uni and what not, i havent had the time really to spend chasing him over farmland. (poor excuse i know). but now im not in uni and im not yet working so i have a lot more free time to spend on him and my show bullmastiff.

im a total novice and while i am taking every view here on board, id say born hunter was closest to the mark as when he sees a rabbit in the garden etc, he physically shakes quite violently because he cannot get to it. its just that i havent felt i could trust him off the lead to get him involved. plus not wanting to do it on my own and not know where i am going wrong etc.

anyway, i have got a couple more pics so i'll shut up now.

dscf6015.jpg

dscf6016.jpg

dscf6017.jpg

dscf6018.jpg

dscf6019.jpg

dscf6020.jpg

sorry if thats a bit pic whoreish, but as with a lot of you i am proud of my dog, and wanted to show him at his best.

Edited by stick

yeah to be fair the woman we took him off most probably had in mind that small terriers are jack russells, she wasnt the sharpest tool in the box. so he's probs patt x staff as he even has the same brown lower legs as a lot of patts ive seen on here.

he is a strong little fecker with some decent jaws. though ive only encountered 1 real working terrier in my life, so i have nothing to compare to.

cheers though fellas, i know its somewhat a half pointless excercise when there is no real way of knowing without a dna test. but its just nice to know what he is, and you lot have all the experience.

glad you are making progress allready bud :thumbs:

however you do the training as long as it works,you will get out what you put in without a doubt.

atb in working him.

waidmann.

p.s. once again a handy looking dog and a good size too at 14inch.

Gorgeous dog :yes: well done for rescuing him. Recall training just takes time, especially if he wants to hunt that badly. Sounds like good progress already though :thumbs:

I was going to say staffy x patt. Something along those lines. He's a good looking dog whatever. :)

yeah this is the reason id asked tbh, because theres some bigger "built" dogs in the patterdale threads and in the lakey threads.

one thing that sways me toward bull is how much attention he likes and is a loving little one. but then ive only ever had bull breeds before so i have no comparison. could also be just because he had such a shit time before and now he's being treated well he's grateful.

who knows such things!? i know i dont

cheers :)

well, been a week of trying to knacker him out before doing recall and i must say its working pretty well.

i will keep this up for a while longer but then which would be more useful, do a couple weeks of recall without running him first? or try him off the lead after running him?

both id say have merits, the quicker i can get him to return without having to run him flat out for ages beforehand the better. and the quicker he learns that come here means lead or no lead the better too. but which first?

thanks

i would personally hide from him, , considering what you have said he seems bonded with you, alot of terriers i have owned i have had the same problem as you are having, after a while i learned to hide from them, or even run the opposite direction from them, sometimes the lead can be the problem a well clued up dog will soon realise that the lead is normaly the start, and end of the walk, so make sure to always have the lead visible, everytime the dog finds you make a big fuss of him, then carry on as usal, doing the same evrytime he gets to far in front, the day i realised this was my best way of training my dog he was never a problem after 2 days of this method, it may not work for you but it has worked for me many a times on many a different types of dogs, :victory:

atb with him,

cheers for that advise, i got my bullmastiff trained well off the lead by going in the opposite direction to her, but i had her from 8 weeks and follows me pretty naturally anyway so cant take too much credit for her.

the problem i have is that when he sets off at such an incredible rate of knots, it disagrees with all my instincts to go the other way. even though i know that chasing him will make it worse.