unidentified terrier...help?

evening, i have a terrier which ive had for a while now. i took him off a bint that had tried to cut his throat just before we arrived.

anyway....she told us he was a staffy x jack russell. but that she wasnt sure as it was her ex husbands dog. but we didnt question, he seemed a pleasant animal and was in danger so we took him.

looking on here, theres a lot of patterdales which appear more "built" than he is so im not so sure what he is......

here is a couple of pics of him, do you think he IS a staffy x russell or could be patt??

dscf0011.jpg

dscf0012.jpg

i think these pics make him look more staff than he actually is too so i'll try get another showing him in a truer light tomorrow.

i am also having trouble with him as he has grand designs on the horizon whenever he gets a whiff of a gap at the door or tested off the lead. any advice on this? tried a long lead (15m) on the advice of a dog trainer to no avail and been advised to use a shock collar, but he's had a crap time of it before he came to me and they are also now banned in wales.

what do you suggest? or is it a case of get him ratting and doing something more satisfying for him and he'll be less inclined to disappear?

anyone in west wales willing to let me tag along with some ratting or anything so he can get a look/taste then id be very grateful

dont matter whats in the dog mate, aslong as it works for you, like you said it looks like a full staff in them pics, maybe its halfx bull patt, but like i said, who cares if the dog does what it wants, and as for the letting off lead, try to keep his attentin abit with a toy or something, then when he starts to wonder off raise it and say his name to get him to look at you he will see the toy and come running, i done it with my staff and still do sometimes to refresh her, her favorits a golf ball, skimming the ground she loves chasing it and its small and quik, shes a pure staff that looks like your boy but a bit bigger,

• Like 2

i have tried that with toys and food,though not with a loud squeaky toy, might work better in getting his attention.

shouting doesnt really help with him though because he was battered before, and i guess he ran off with them and got a hiding for it.

he's 14 inch tts and 17lbs so he certainly seems the right size for a patt too.

a good strong looking terrier.

without asking the breeder/previous owner it will be very difficult to find out his make up.

there is almost certainly alot of bull in there.

has he seen any work? how old is he?

recall is one of the first things he needs to learn,this is based on his basic obiedience(sit,down etc).if he seems to be very excitable then get him running next to a push bike(on the lead) for a while(untill knackered) and then try the long lead again,lots of encouragement and no agression on your part(frustration will be read by the dog,its a game)

try to get him focussed on YOU and you will have fun with him i'm sure.

atb

waidmann

• Like 1

cheers fellas.

this is it waidmann, his basic obedience is excellent, he even craps on command. but should freedom be a possibility, he's taking it 9 times out of 10.

i think alongside a car maybe more effective (not serious) because i've even ran him up mount snowdon and he was still going strong long after we'd come back down.

im not sure he's seen any work, he's not with me though he's ragged a few rabbits and rats that my next door neighbour's cats have left on my doormat. he does have the odd scar here and there, but it's my understanding he was jabbed with forks and had fags put out on him before. plus a scar and hairless area on his throat :(

he's around 3 btw.

born hunter, you reckon probs in a barn or something bushing them out would be best? i do, as he's less inclined to bugger off when indoors. i think work of any sort could make a big difference to him, as ultimately he'd be far more satisfied.

as i said, if there's anyone around here (near lampeter, ceredigion) willing to let us tag along, i'd be very grateful.

Edited by stick

I think that you need to focus on the basic training (recalls) and bonding with him before you even think about letting him loose on someone’s land/farm.

If he isn’t listening to you (at the moment!) when out on a normal walk then in my opinion he will/could listen to you even less whilst out ratting etc…with all the scent – not to mention all of the livestock!!!

Keep practising recalls with him in an enclosed space (garden!)…using praise and whatever treats he likes. Then just progress to more open environments.

The more time and effort you put into the dog the more you will get out.

PS: Its good of you to give the dog a second chance...sounds like he had a lucky escape.

if the basics are there(which command do you use for crapping? as "sit" may cause confusion :clapper: )

then thats a good start but recall is essential for ALL types of work,without it he will be a thorn in your side.onto the long lead again and keep at it(it helps if he is a greedy bugger,everytime he comes he gets something nice).making a big fuss everytime he does what you want and ignore him when not.

how long have you had him?

i'm not keen on running a dog from a car(especially on the lead)and would rather use a bike.start off slowly and gain confidence on the lead(for you both) untill you can go for miles,it will get him tired(to start off with slow and long distance,later not so slow and long distance.always let him get warm before pushing him).

well done for rescuing the dog by the way :thumbs:

waidmann

• Like 1

I suggested what i did because by the sound of it the dog makes a bid for freedom because of his desire to hunt, hes hunting for himself because its the only way he knows how. He doesnt know to work WITH his owner. A bit of ratting in a 'controlled' environment (like a barn as suggested) IMO (which doesnt really count for shit) would be beneficial as it would teach the dog to listen to his owner and work with him. Not to mention melow the dog out a bit. Any dog with a high prey drive will ignore the recall if it is hot on the trail of its quarry UNLESS it knows working with you is the most successfull way to hunt. Conditioning a dogs response like this is acheived through both dog and owner woring together. So ill say again, for what my opinions worth, showing this little tyke how successfull working WITH and listening to his owner is will probably go a long way to improving your relationship. But as we all know, training dogs isnt as 'black n white' as that.

• Like 1