What do you think?

I took the dogs out this morning for a run alongside some woods.

I have a young spaniel which is turning out to be an excellent flushing dog,i had her and a young 12 month old lurcher bitch offlead.

The spaniel flushes a rabbit from cover,the lurcher takes off after it through the woods.

This would have been fine if the lurcher had not been screaming like a pig behind this rabbit.

Now i have not done anything with her- she has seen some daytime rabbits caught by another dog and is really keen,however i have just sorted out some permission to start this little bitch on the lamp in a few weeks.

What i want to know is how you guys would feel about the yipping?

Does it mean she will be a problem in the future or will she quieten when given better chances on the lamp?

It isnt the end of the world but she is the only lamping prospect i have and an excellent little dog in all other ways

Any advice gratefully recieved

might not yap on the lamp ... i know dogs that will open up during the day but not on the lamp ... all you can do is try her at the end of the day after she learns what to do you might stop .. is she fit cause i know dogs that yap when there not fit enough

I think once they start yapping they will alway's do so when put under any pressure on a run,I personally couldn't own a dog that yapped,but that's me,my standards are high,I once owned a 3/4collie greyhound that was fine on rabbit and a demon on fox(pre-ban) but would open up when put under pressure on tight turns on hare's,he was re-homed to a mate that only went out occassionally and only hunted rabbit,that dog was kept by him to a ripe old age and he was made up with it,it's down to whether you can tolerate it,a yapping dog will let every rabbit in the area know your there and if you travel any distance to your lamping ground its a long way for a few runs,its your dog at the end of the day so only you can make any tough decision necessary,pups are a lottery and there is nothing worse than bringing them up right,best of everything,food,training,and most importantly time,all that investment and sometimes it is a disappointment,we all have failure's with pup's,its a part of the dog game,every dog is not a worldbeater,sometimes its a mistake you've made and sometimes its just a poorly bred dog,it could be many reasons but when you get a good one,these are the special dogs that you remember,just my opinion,atb,wirralman

if the dog was chasing ,through the woods,then not surprised it was opening up mate,obviously difficult to get on terms with a rabbit in this situation,as said once on the lamp may be a different story,you never know your luck,although would not do for me im afraid,good luck with it :thumbs:

Edited by watchman

if the dog was chasing ,through the woods,then not surprised it was opening up mate,obviously difficult to get on terms with a rabbit in this situation,as said once on the lamp may be a different story,you never know your luck,although would not do for me im afraid,good luck with it :thumbs:

I agree with comment above. tis very difficult for any dog to come to terms with its quarry in woods, let alone a young animal that your starting. keep her away from the woods and start her on some "easy" bunnies

some good replys would agree with all about it being hard to catch rabbits in woodland area for a young dog with little experience see if you can give the young dog some daytime runs on more open areas if it can see it has a good chance of catching them it shouldnt be a problem and once it has its first proper bunny it will be away because it knows it can catch them.

Thankyou for the helpful replies- i shall keep her away from the woods andon the usual open ground.

She has got behind a few bunnies without making noise before so hopefully it was because of the above.

I shall give her some time then try some easy runs on the lamp.

If it turns out she is going to be noisey it isnt the end of the world,she is a lovely dog and a joy to have around anyway- it would just be nice to finally have a good lamping dog :o)