Hi all

Sort of new to Small calibre Rifles and looking at purchasing a .17hmr.

I have been offered a cz .17hmr Style (synthetic / nickle finish) with wildcat silencer and 400 round for £350ish (second hand), but also a CZ varmant .17hmr (Wood / Blued) for £350 sak moderator £40 (all new) cartrages, obiously extra, both are 16 inch barrels, and realy the finish is not that important as a good rifle.

Both are plain of a scope so any recommendations on glass wear recived with gratitude, leaning towards a fix scope ie 8x56 (docter), but open to advice.

My original ideas was a varmant but cant decide, any help will be gratefully recived, funds are not a real issue, but any money saved goes on the next purchase (A new 4x4)

Just after a decent rifle, that can stand up to frequent use / Abuse in a working enviroment

Thanks

Rich

Hi all

Sort of new to Small calibre Rifles and looking at purchasing a .17hmr.

I have been offered a cz .17hmr Style (synthetic / nickle finish) with wildcat silencer and 400 round for £350ish (second hand), but also a CZ varmant .17hmr (Wood / Blued) for £350 sak moderator £40 (all new) cartrages, obiously extra, both are 16 inch barrels, and realy the finish is not that important as a good rifle.

Both are plain of a scope so any recommendations on glass wear recived with gratitude, leaning towards a fix scope ie 8x56 (docter), but open to advice.

My original ideas was a varmant but cant decide, any help will be gratefully recived, funds are not a real issue, but any money saved goes on the next purchase (A new 4x4)

Just after a decent rifle, that can stand up to frequent use / Abuse in a working enviroment

Thanks

Rich

Everyone will have a take on this and there are lots of rifles and lots of scopes...and what is right is what you want...this is my take....

Why??

Why do you want a heavy barrel on a light calibre field tool. You can fire this all day without any barrel heat problems and you will find no improvement in accuracy in a heavy barrel, it's just a heavier lump to cart around.

The Wildcat Cub is useless on a HMR (I assume for the money you are talking it is the Cub, the Whisper isn't much better but at least its prettier), the SAK is much better than a Cub on these.

Scope wise, why fixed, just what do you intend to shoot??

Get the Style and ask him to swap the mods and put the SAK on it!

:thumbs::thumbs:

Edited by Deker

Thanks for reply and your honesty (yes my spelling is crap)

I looked at the varmant as the wood stock and heavier barral due to roumours of the black composit stocks splitting when used with a bipod, and heat displacment on the larger barrel (TBH i have never use a small calibre rilfe only .223 and above, so its a bit of a learning curve)

The Glass wear is what i've used before, and sort of used too, but again open to recomendations.

As mentioned your advice will be accepted and listen too

Sounds like i shoud grab the cz style and ammo leaving the mod, and get a Sak (my first option)

what you recon to price £250 - 300 ish for 400 rounds and rifle

Thanks

thank for the info, of you aint guessed i'm not to good at this forum stuff, all a bit new.

Well it looks like i havent, cursed enough today, lets hope it stays that way.

Any more advise on above topic (.17hmr)

Thanks

Rich

Thanks for reply and your honesty (yes my spelling is crap)

I looked at the varmant as the wood stock and heavier barral due to roumours of the black composit stocks splitting when used with a bipod, and heat displacment on the larger barrel (TBH i have never use a small calibre rilfe only .223 and above, so its a bit of a learning curve)

The Glass wear is what i've used before, and sort of used too, but again open to recomendations.

As mentioned your advice will be accepted and listen too

Sounds like i shoud grab the cz style and ammo leaving the mod, and get a Sak (my first option)

what you recon to price £250 - 300 ish for 400 rounds and rifle

Thanks

I have .22lr and HMR Silhouettes, my lad has a .22lr Style and I know numerous people with the synthetic stock CZ...but I don't know anyone who has split their stock using a Bipod, mine have Bipods almost permanently fitted! I also have the American in WMR which has wood, no difference on the bipod although the stock is obviously stiffer!

Heat in the barrel isn't an issue with any rimfire, these are a whole different game to centrefires, you would have to fire an awful lot VERY quickly to get the barrel warm!

Not sure of the going rate for these used..take a look at Guntrader.co.uk to get an idea of used CZ prices>> :thumbs:

Edited by Deker

Hi Richie

I've got a Weihrauch HW 60 J With a Sak Mod, A bit dearer than what you've been quoted above, however i wouldn't change it for the world, nice feel to it and does the job i need it to do.

Having said that if you want something that will stand up to a bit of abuse in your work environment you wont go wrong with a CZ.

ATB

Deker,

Are you bipods atached on to front Sling mount or have you driled in a seperate bolt / Nut combo, closer to the trigger guard.

got to admit it the cz style grabed my attention, but the rumored problems put me off, any advice on glass wear.

Thanks agian

Deker,

Are you bipods atached on to front Sling mount or have you driled in a seperate bolt / Nut combo, closer to the trigger guard.

got to admit it the cz style grabed my attention, but the rumored problems put me off, any advice on glass wear.

Thanks agian

I have 2 Harris Bipods, they both attach to the front stud (sling mount) already fitted to the CZ!

Glass is almost too personal to recommend, but I have variable on ALL mine right through from my 12ft lb air rifle to my .308! The HMR is also a VERY gentle calibre (even on a light rifle) no great need to spend a fortune as long as you can see your quarry!

PS

Where did you hear this suggestion of Bipods splitting CZ Stocks?? :hmm::hmm:

Edited by Deker

Thanks Deker

The bipod reveiw is on; http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews108999.html

but a friend has done the same, but knowing him he's prob's fallen on the rifle aswell. then used it as a level for hi hilift jack.

A local Game keeper had also heard the same and recomended that i remove the front swivel, drill and then manufactor, a bolt / nut version of the swivel to relive the stress, coupled with a few large fibre washers to distrubut the stress(to be honest the local gunsmith has been ask to do this if i need it)

So its the bare cz style an a few round, have just been offered an air rifle with a nikko nite eater 12x56, too good to miss, keeping the scope flog the rifle the s410 has seen better days, didnt realised that air amrs offered a barrel and cylinder that was made to shoot round corners.

Thanks Deker

The bipod reveiw is on; http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews108999.html

but a friend has done the same, but knowing him he's prob's fallen on the rifle aswell. then used it as a level for hi hilift jack.

A local Game keeper had also heard the same and recomended that i remove the front swivel, drill and then manufactor, a bolt / nut version of the swivel to relive the stress, coupled with a few large fibre washers to distrubut the stress(to be honest the local gunsmith has been ask to do this if i need it)

So its the bare cz style an a few round, have just been offered an air rifle with a nikko nite eater 12x56, too good to miss, keeping the scope flog the rifle the s410 has seen better days, didnt realised that air amrs offered a barrel and cylinder that was made to shoot round corners.

:hmm::hmm::hmm:

Ok, I'm struggling to understand why a bipod will put more strain on the front stud than a sling??

Ive not had a problem, don't know anyone who has....perhaps another thread is in order to ask the question, there are loads on here with CZ synthetic stock, easy enough to ask if any have had a bipod problem!! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

not sure myself got a harris mounted to the underside of my s200, and thats a thin stock - never had any problems, and thats been slung about and abused, so was suprised after looking at cz style and reading of them splitting.

To be honest, got to go with your comments, there are hundereds of these in action, and only 2 proven splitting the odds on that aint bad.