ferreting at night

Ive never done it as i much prefer the day time for ferreting.. but this topic has been up on a hunting site a long time ago and there is a fair few people that do it and a few that used to with good effect.. :good: .

Millet

:clapper::rocker:

tried it at a local estate small burries that we marked by us in the daylight ,we used to take the ferret get a few rabbs with purse nets hide them and go and do what we came to do take a few roosters along next to the woods pens etc and sell the wares mid eighties ,on some warrens on a frosty moonlight night dogs wood catch them in the white grass etc a bit fun but no seruios stuff all the best,you can do it but you have to know the land well

has anybody been ferreting at night.can you give me any tips aswell for e.g how will i see my ferret,how will i know were all the holes are.

good hunting

rew

Hi REW, a few experiences that may benefit your night-time forays. Firstly, and most obviously, do not forget to push the field in on both sides of the hedge or all round the open buries, rabbits will oft times run to the nearest shelter, not necessarily where you plan to ferret them. As to how you will see your ferret, we use both whites and polecats, whites are easier to see, obviously, but we use the normal leather collars and attach starlight with clear tape. It takes a bit of bending but it does work. We are currently messing about with those boyracer flashy things that go on car wheels, they flash when subjected to movement, a bit of jiggery pokery (oh arr!) and they stay on! About the same size as a ferret finder collar too. As to finding holes, as previously mentioned, Know your ground, only two things look like a hole at night... one,s a hole... the others a cow-pat! Net the former avoid the latter! As to why, other than poaching purposes (perish the thought) anyone would ferret night-time instead of day-time is this (guess you bed-lovers would,nt know LOL) FACT, rabbits most times will bolt more freely, even when just driven below ground, at night than during the day, especially from open field buries. Common sense when you think about it, run outside in the glaring day or in the black of the night, know which I,d prefer. It,s a ploy we use even on permission (no, honestly) on open buries where rabbits are notoriousl difficult to bolt due to human foot traffic. Apologies for post length, really must learn to shorten posts. Hope it,s been of use REW just get stuck in and give it a go. PS. (stop groaning) long nets and stop nets rather than tons of purse nets. Over and out Mapreader.

Mapreader said it all realy rew. its a tried and tested method . we used to hit some great plases that were two hot to do in daylight . fullmoon is easyer , and it gives you somthing to do when you cant go lamping or netting..

i very often did this alone , and always took the dog. one place i did alot was a deer park and most times the dog would acount for one in the light of the moon

and before brinded tryed it, we were doing 20 years ago. and no dowt generations of poachers before.

dont listen to the smart arses on here who have never done it mate, :no: get out there and do it. TOMO :ph34r: