to all you stick users

i was just wondering now that alot of posts have been sent using sticks and good write ups they have been and they have been some excellent shots using sticks.

what sticks do you use monopod ,bipod ,or tripod also what name/brand are they ?

thanks lee n.yorks

i was just wondering now that alot of posts have been sent using sticks and good write ups they have been and they have been some excellent shots using sticks.

what sticks do you use monopod ,bipod ,or tripod also what name/brand are they ?

thanks lee n.yorks

My single stick is a decent hazel shaft.

My bipod is a B&Q green rod special ! lol, with a slice of inner tube(like a big rubber band) twisted around six inches from the top( in a figure of 8 style) .

Both work really well . :good:

ps,

If you cut another bit of tube and twist it around one of the poles at the bottom,It stops them banging together and making a noise .

Edited by 2434me

i have a mono(hazel with a fork at the top) and a bi (two hazel sticks waist high).

depending on cover i can choose which sticks to take (low cover/winter/undulating land rifle bipod,this time of year/mostly flat land "kneeling stick",later on in the year/airfield etc "standing stick").

you can make the stick to fit for nothing when using hazel or the like. the only problem is a stick up to your nose will seldom fit well in the car.

i have seen a very good stick made of hazel while in germany it was about an inch and a half thick but split down the middle with a screw/bolt through the top(about five inches down) and was used as a mountain stick(third leg) untill needed,then it was split and a bipod. very handy.

the gunshop ones are usually retractable which is good for transport.

waidmann

I use a set of Pole Cat split sticks, each piece having three telescopic segments. For all the bashing they get from the purist’s they haven’t let me down yet although I’ll probably join the Hazel crew if they break for economy more than anything else.

I use a set of Pole Cat split sticks, each piece having three telescopic segments. For all the bashing they get from the purist’s they haven’t let me down yet although I’ll probably join the Hazel crew if they break for economy more than anything else.

I preffer blackthorn to hazel ! :thumbs:

i have a mono pod i bought at a game fair with Sika antley as the rfke rest! very nice indeed and not expensive!

i also hav the B&Q cane special - i drilled and bolted mine though, dont trust a rubber ring to easy to slip just as you pull the trigger.

I use a bushwear tripod. Cost £35 and I find it much better than the old green garden canes I used to use. It ain't the best build quality and you have to check the tightness of the screws now and again but when I've used it it's been brilliant.

Edited by rowey
  • 2 months later...

i have a mono(hazel with a fork at the top) and a bi (two hazel sticks waist high).

depending on cover i can choose which sticks to take (low cover/winter/undulating land rifle bipod,this time of year/mostly flat land "kneeling stick",later on in the year/airfield etc "standing stick").

you can make the stick to fit for nothing when using hazel or the like. the only problem is a stick up to your nose will seldom fit well in the car.

i have seen a very good stick made of hazel while in germany it was about an inch and a half thick but split down the middle with a screw/bolt through the top(about five inches down) and was used as a mountain stick(third leg) untill needed,then it was split and a bipod. very handy.

the gunshop ones are usually retractable which is good for transport.

waidmann

The chap who makes the union screw joint sells at the German outdoor shows, I have had one for years took it to the USA once in my case.

Problem is to get the hazel dead round to fit the turned tubular hole in the spigots which are made of brass, then the hazel shrinks and it gets looser, solution stick the joint ends in a tub of water for 24 hours and the hazel swells up again to fit tight.

There is a web site somewhere for them.

Martin

Edited by bavarianbrit

There are plenty who get on with hazel and garden green poles but for me they have two bad points. They don't fit in the car and you can't shorten them for kneeling and sitting shots like the telescopic ones. (As for monopods I think you need a medal to take anything but the shortest range shots with one).I use a bipod one, a mate swears by the tripod it is absolutely rock solid big plus for this is you plant it infront of you to set yourself and gun up with both hands free which is difficult with the bipod.