More good work by UK Gun Repairs

Here is something a little different i got this stock from Richards’s micro stocks of the USA on their site it was claimed that the stock would come to me 97% finished? I don’t think so; there was an enormous amount of work to be done on it to get it any ware near finished. So I decided to contact Dennis Stepney of UK Guns and arranged a time to go over so he was able to take a look at it. Well to cut a long story short Dennis told me what had to be done and was prepared to take the work on, which I was happy to let him do, a short time later I had a phone call from Dennis asking if I would come over to discuss where we were with it and how I would like it finished? Well when I got there and saw what he had done I was amazed I was literally stuck for words!! Anyway when I regained my composure we decided to go for a laminate spay finish as it would be a Fox gun and would keep the weather out better. In no time at all it was finished I was over the moon with it. Once again work well done by Dennis of uk gun repairs.

UKGunrepairs

post-50163-127148449965.jpg

Edited by shootingcharley

Funny you should mention Dennis at UK Gun Repairs, I've just collected my Howa from him that he has bedded for me. I must say that he has made a fantastic job at a very competitive price, I have just put the scope back on it and am about to take it out to re zero and see what it can do.

When I was there he showed me some of the work they had done and had in hand, quite impressive.

I can't recommend them highly enough.

Charlie T.

Here is something a little different i got this stock from Richards’s micro stocks of the USA on their site it was claimed that the stock would come to me 97% finished? I don’t think so; there was an enormous amount of work to be done on it to get it any ware near finished. So I decided to contact Dennis Stepney of UK Guns and arranged a time to go over so he was able to take a look at it. Well to cut a long story short Dennis told me what had to be done and was prepared to take the work on, which I was happy to let him do, a short time later I had a phone call from Dennis asking if I would come over to discuss where we were with it and how I would like it finished? Well when I got there and saw what he had done I was amazed I was literally stuck for words!! Anyway when I regained my composure we decided to go for a laminate spay finish as it would be a Fox gun and would keep the weather out better. In no time at all it was finished I was over the moon with it. Once again work well done by Dennis of uk gun repairs.

UKGunrepairs

Pleased you like it I enjoyed the challenge. Dicehorn has shown me some of the groups that Rugar 204 is now shooting so pleased for you. Got to say one of the guys in the work shop has now got the itch for a 204 and is going to take a look at a Hower or will go the proven route of a Remington and we will do all the normal things to it.

Thanks for your kind words SC drop in for a coffee bring the cakes!

UKGunrepairs

Pleased you like it I enjoyed the challenge. Dicehorn has shown me some of the groups that Rugar 204 is now shooting so pleased for you. Got to say one of the guys in the work shop has now got the itch for a 204 and is going to take a look at a Hower or will go the proven route of a Remington and we will do all the normal things to it.

Thanks for your kind words SC drop in for a coffee bring the cakes!

what is the world coming to!! some dodgy plywood... .. :whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

Same but different, not trying to Hijack this...my Turkish Walnut .22WMR, just about 4 moths old is covered in tiny makes (dents)..it a great piece of wood but does seem particularly soft, I don't want some resin finish, but how do I get rid of the surface marks and what treatment can I put on the stock to toughen it up a bit, WITHOUT making it glossy??

Just don't understand this one, I look after my guns and none of my other wooden stocks suffer like this one has!

Cheers!!

Edited by Deker

Funny you should mention Dennis at UK Gun Repairs, I've just collected my Howa from him that he has bedded for me. I must say that he has made a fantastic job at a very competitive price, I have just put the scope back on it and am about to take it out to re zero and see what it can do.

When I was there he showed me some of the work they had done and had in hand, quite impressive.

I can't recommend them highly enough.

Charlie T.

Hi there Charlie T just wonder if you had chance to re zero your .204 and was it shooting better?

shootingcharley

Same but different, not trying to Hijack this...my Turkish Walnut .22WMR, just about 4 moths old is covered in tiny makes (dents)..it a great piece of wood but does seem particularly soft, I don't want some resin finish, but how do I get rid of the surface marks and what treatment can I put on the stock to toughen it up a bit, WITHOUT making it glossy??

Just don't understand this one, I look after my guns and none of my other wooden stocks suffer like this one has!

Cheers!!

Good evening and apologies for the delay. As to your WRM stock, without seeing it I can only guess at the problem. What can happen with a mass produced stock, if it is, during the process of sanding and then applying the finish, the stock should be whiskered, this is a process of moistening or damping the stock, lifting the grain and allowing for further sanding which removes the surface fibres and allows only the hard wood surface to gain a finish. To try and be more clear, some pieces of timber, once sanded, have a soft surface up to a 1/16 inch thick, made up of small fibres and these need removing to achieve the sort of finish you are used to. If a traditional finish was being applied, these fibres would be a problem but most manufacturers used a synthetic type of sealer even with their so-called 'oil finish and do not remove thease fibres.

So, as a cure, I would suggest flatting the existing finish, raising the worst dents with steam (I use a cotton wrag sodden and a flat half inch steel bar which I heat with the blow lamp and force the steam into the stock surface which removes a very high percentage of the dent. Once you are happy with the appearance, whisker the stock (as previously) and then, when the grain refuses to lift any more you should have a considerably harder surface to work with, apply a quality shelac sanding sealer and, within it, add a few drops of hardener (I use Gold Spot, if you have a problem with sourcing that I can willingly let you have some). Once the sanding sealer is dry, flat this with 600 grit paper or finer, and then apply a traditional oil finish and this will give you a satin durable finish. If you have any problems, please contact me as it would be a pleasure to help. Hope you understand that this is just a guess - should you wish to take it further, let's have a look at the rifle.

Regards

Sage

Cheers!!

Good evening and apologies for the delay. As to your WRM stock, without seeing it I can only guess at the problem. What can happen with a mass produced stock, if it is, during the process of sanding and then applying the finish, the stock should be whiskered, this is a process of moistening or damping the stock, lifting the grain and allowing for further sanding which removes the surface fibres and allows only the hard wood surface to gain a finish. To try and be more clear, some pieces of timber, once sanded, have a soft surface up to a 1/16 inch thick, made up of small fibres and these need removing to achieve the sort of finish you are used to. If a traditional finish was being applied, these fibres would be a problem but most manufacturers used a synthetic type of sealer even with their so-called 'oil finish and do not remove thease fibres.

So, as a cure, I would suggest flatting the existing finish, raising the worst dents with steam (I use a cotton wrag sodden and a flat half inch steel bar which I heat with the blow lamp and force the steam into the stock surface which removes a very high percentage of the dent. Once you are happy with the appearance, whisker the stock (as previously) and then, when the grain refuses to lift any more you should have a considerably harder surface to work with, apply a quality shelac sanding sealer and, within it, add a few drops of hardener (I use Gold Spot, if you have a problem with sourcing that I can willingly let you have some). Once the sanding sealer is dry, flat this with 600 grit paper or finer, and then apply a traditional oil finish and this will give you a satin durable finish. If you have any problems, please contact me as it would be a pleasure to help. Hope you understand that this is just a guess - should you wish to take it further, let's have a look at the rifle.

Regards

Sage

Cheers for this!! :thumbs: