type of greyhound

Guest oldskool

do you mean a greyhound for breeding lurchers with or a greyhound for breeding greys??? sorry if that sounds a daft question... i heard of a few lads that use coursing greys for breeding racing dogs because they are generally bigger and with better stamina,, any truth in that???

Edited by oldskool

i meant for breeding lurchers,soz but in my thoughts bigger means less stamina more sprinting power wonder why all the marathon races on track are neally all won by small bitches these big power houses [ coursing dogs]are just no good anymore built for the run up nothing else................ :hmm:

Track men usually stay away from big dogs as they are more prone to injury around the track . I have a dog pup 12 months old just tipping the scales at 62 pounds . do really want him much bigger . some of the courseing dogs i have seen have been around the 90 pound mark . For lurcher breeding both have advantages . depend if you want sprinter speed or size

If I was looking for a bitch to breed lurchers from I would look for a daughter of Smooth Rumble normally a nice size and full of stamina although can lack a bit of early but if you looked for one that had been running 4 bends as well as 6 or 8 bends the you should be alright IMO ;)

a mate has had a few in the last few years both coursing and ex track, the track dogs all seem to go to fox better, :victory: and he wont let his bull x dogs line anything that wont go to charlie and i havent heard of any of the pups that wont do fox :yahoo::D

Guest oldskool
a mate has had a few in the last few years both coursing and ex track, the track dogs all seem to go to fox better, :victory: and he wont let his bull x dogs line anything that wont go to charlie and i havent heard of any of the pups that wont do fox :yahoo::D

i heard that said before,,,, i wonder is there any truth in that and how it could be that a track grey would make a better fox dog that a coursing grey???? are coursin greys not often used on the track too and vice versa???? :hmm:

Edited by oldskool

We bought her out of Ron Houghs` kennel a couple of months ago but she broke in season a few days after so will be making a return to the track soon but will hopefully only be running Open marathons from now on , we have not even bothered to grade her on at Monmore which is the track our trainer is attached to ;)

i heard that said before,,,, i wonder is there any truth in that and how it could be that a track grey would make a better fox dog that a coursing grey???? are coursin greys not often used on the track too and vice versa???? :hmm:

Coursing dogs are generally to big for track racing and pick up to many injuries , the coursing dog is just a sprint merchant and is very quick in a straight line but too much stress is put on the legs of such big animals when taking the bends,

It is probably the difference in rearing and schooling that makes the difference when entering the dogs to fox as racing dogs are generally encouraged to chase anything that moves , but because coursing greyhounds may possibly be out of sight of the handler in the open countryside they are stock broken to a degree the same as lurchers so are normally only encouraged to chase rabbits and later on hares...

i dont really understand why either! but thats a mates opinion and like i say hes had a few!

Guest oldskool

i was reading this over again and just wondered why people try to go for the worlds best greyhound to breed from??? i know its always good, if not, essential to breed from the best stock.... But when you are dealing with a greyhound for breeding first cross lurchers i would only worry about 2 things and thats gameness and health... if your going to cross it with a bull or collie etc then the top speed of a champion greyhond is lost in the offspring anyway, is it not??? :hmm: .... i'd still like to breed from a champ greyhound if i was gettin it handy but i wouldnt want to bend over backwards for it when i could get given an old retired or injured fella that, in my opinion, could produce the same quality..... and on the plus side an old greyhound gets another chance in life,,,,just a thought :)

Edited by oldskool
i used a dog that won waterloo on my bitch for one reason brill mouth how otherwise would people no in track bitches other than testing them for themselves cant see many doing that............

A lot of track greyhound rearers "hunt" their saplings weekly or so just to make them keen before there trials so if you can find a dog from a rearer that does this you can be pretty certain that they have been hunted and not all coursing dogs have a good mouth on them infact I would go as far as to say that some coursing dogs have never caught a hare , Irish park coursing dogs are muzzled whilst coursing so you can be pretty sure not many of them catch a hare during the season :blink:

Oldskool I agree mate that there is very little point in going to the champion greyhounds for a service to a lurcher when the difference between a Track Record Holder and a bottom grader may be less than 2 seconds over the standard trip any improvement in the first crosses speed would be minimal :o