In need of help training !!

Hi all,

Im in real need of some help training my 6 month old lab bitch. She walks to heel when on the lead but as soon as she is off the lead she runs all over the place. Advice needed please. I will attach pictures soon. Also do you guys have any advice on any other training i can do at this time?

Thanks very much.

Andrew

Have you tried heeling off lead in a really small space, like a back yard? Sounds like she's sticking two fingers up at you a bit, or just getting very distracted. She's still only very young though, so I'd probably keep working on the lead until she's absolutely clear on what to do, build in some sits/stays on the lead, then when she's sitting, slip the lead off and back on, then increase the time the lead's off for so that she gets used to lead off = not running about. If she runs off, plant her back in the sit and go backwards a bit, decrease the time the lead's off her for before moving forward again.

Other ideas: try heeling on lead down a 'channel' such as an alleyway or a space with a hedge either side of you, which has a wall at one end, and keep enforcing the heel command, then progress gradually to off lead for only a few steps.

Would love to hear other ideas too as my pup used to be like this but thankfully have got round it!

Try walking to heel with the lead still round her neck but no pressure on it (i.e. you not holding it with it tucked up) gives the impression of her still being on lead then gradually build up to taking it off altogether.

Hurlock

A wee thing i use as the transition to heel work off the lead ,walk the dog round on the lead demanding tight heel work then sit the dog down take the lead wrap it round the dogs nech leaving the wee handle part sticking out PS dont wrap it to tight just enough for a little pressure so the dog thinks he is on the lead give the lead a tug and command heel walk of do a lot of left turns if you walk your dog on the left and right turns if you walk your dog on the right .

Stop the dog fairly often and before you set of give the part of the lead sticking out a wee tug and the command heel this useually takes only a couple of sessions for the dog to get the idea ,if the dog wander away from heal put the lead back on properly and correct heel work in the normal way.

worth a try Good luck :D

A wee thing i use as the transition to heel work off the lead ,walk the dog round on the lead demanding tight heel work then sit the dog down take the lead wrap it round the dogs nech leaving the wee handle part sticking out PS dont wrap it to tight just enough for a little pressure so the dog thinks he is on the lead give the lead a tug and command heel walk of do a lot of left turns if you walk your dog on the left and right turns if you walk your dog on the right .

Stop the dog fairly often and before you set of give the part of the lead sticking out a wee tug and the command heel this useually takes only a couple of sessions for the dog to get the idea ,if the dog wander away from heal put the lead back on properly and correct heel work in the normal way.

worth a try Good luck :D

Thanks very much tryed the first advice today and got a good result. She still runs out a little bit but shees just a pup. Thanks again.

Andrew

My lab is always full of energy when I take him out. I let him have a good run and play before doing training. I find he walks to heel very well on the way back from the park but is hard work when on the way there. He's just 5 months so I'll cut him some slack. Once he's burned up some energy I then do all my discapline type training and it seems to work well. I dont want him running riot and getting deaf to my shouting him when he isn't going to behave anyway.

The phrase I keep reminding myself is one I heard on her many times "Don't set your self up for failure"

Hi Andrew. Glad it's working for you :) the advice the other guys gave about wrapping the lead round the neck worked really well for my partner's dog so worth a try too.

Other training at 6 months -some needs still to be play training, especially recall. Stand in a small space, have her sit in front of you, take a step back then call her in to you. If she runs round you in circles or doesn't come,step back till she does, or hide where she can't see you then call her. Lots of praise but no treats when she comes to you.

Sit stay is also another good one to work on, sit her in front of you, take a step back, but then return to her and praise. If she gets up, just plant her in the sit and keep trying. Increase the number of steps you walk and return from gradually.

You could also start to introduce hand signals and whistle commands at this point, so say the command at same time as hand signal then give the whistle signal as she's obeying.

Hope this helps, ruthi.

Thanks very much tryed the first advice today and got a good result. She still runs out a little bit but shees just a pup. Thanks again.

Andrew

Hi Andrew

The first 6-12 months should be all play training, basics should be 100% before rushing into more serious training, 2-3 yrs to train a dog to field trial standards, 2-3 minutes to ruin one.

don't rush any training, let them have their puppy hood.

basic training should involve: recall by voice & whistle, sit, walking to heel on the lead, then with lead around neck as previous posts, always using the command Heel or whatever command you are using,keep using the command with lots of praise.I also introduce the sit/stop whistle at this stage every time I stop with the dog on lead I use 1 peep with voice command sit, once the dog is used to this just use stop whistle. retrieving a dummy ( puppy / home made ) 2-3 times max letting the dog run-in at this stage, keeping the whole session fun is the key to puppy training.

hope this makes sense

good luck

Lee

swingtip-gundogs

Thanks very much lee you certainly know what your talking about.

Andrew.

No problem Andrew if you get stuck with any training give me a call & I will try to help you as much as possible.

good training

Lee

swingtip-gundogs

Thanks very much lee you certainly know what your talking about.

Andrew.

No problem Andrew if you get stuck with any training give me a call & I will try to help you as much as possible.

good training

Lee

swingtip-gundogs

Thanks lee will be working with her a lot more with her now as i got payed off from work today no work :( so s**t happens.

Thanks again

Andrew