prob with retrieving

got a 10 month old lab good on all the basic training will sit stay for as long as i ask good with shot steady to game flying and running

will jump and very well behaved in a hide it just wont retrieve any thing, i'v tried every trick i know

in the past i have trained 3 springers and a lab(up to FTCH) but this one has stumped me

Any ideas would be helpful

Thanks dogdigger

wouldn't even try retrieve exercises, really tease with one toy, but don't let the dog have it the maybe bring in another dog and let this retrieve the toy with lots of fuss, jealousy is a great tool...if that don't work and you have tried it, a pro will be the key... maybe force fetch is an option...

GOOD LUCK hope problem is sorted

got a 10 month old lab good on all the basic training will sit stay for as long as i ask good with shot steady to game flying and running

will jump and very well behaved in a hide it just wont retrieve any thing, i'v tried every trick i know

in the past i have trained 3 springers and a lab(up to FTCH) but this one has stumped me

Any ideas would be helpful

Thanks dogdigger

doyou no i had a cocker just the same but i found if i trow dumey and he went to it but dint pick it up if i then started to walk away then he would fecth it and so on untill he came good and the best thing was when kids trow him a ball it came back time after time but talk about do your head in good luck and do what you can mate

thanks lads

tried the jealousy theory dint work with him tried rabbit skin , pigeon wings and teddy bears and a fluffy pencil case with a dummy and treats in it even tried him on warm game i had a springer once that would never pick up dummy's and my son has a cocker that's the same.

thanks "pulling my hair out"

dogdigger

thanks lads

tried the jealousy theory dint work with him tried rabbit skin , pigeon wings and teddy bears and a fluffy pencil case with a dummy and treats in it even tried him on warm game i had a springer once that would never pick up dummy's and my son has a cocker that's the same.

dogdigger

Try him carrying a meaty bone while on a lead walking- That should start him being used to something in his mouth.When you take it off him give him a treat. After a while attach a dummy to the bone - still on a lead and a treat when you take it from him. Eventually only give him the dummy to carry again on a lead- treat when you take it off him. A little at a time until he enjoys the dummy.

Edited by welshboy454

thanks lads

dogdigger

Try him carrying a meaty bone while on a lead walking- That should start him being used to something in his mouth.When you take it off him give him a treat. After a while attach a dummy to the bone - still on a lead and a treat when you take it from him. Eventually only give him the dummy to carry again on a lead- treat when you take it off him. A little at a time until he enjoys the dummy.

good idea mate i'l give it a go and let you know how i get on

thanks

dogdigger

Hi dogdigger I had a similar problem with a cocker a few years back i had tried a lot of diferant tricks but nothing seemed to work then tried the following.

Sit the a dog and the dog with the problem beside you on a slope drop a tennis ball let it run down the hill send the retreiving dog do this a couple of times try and get the non retriever excited then send the non retriever dog its worth a try it worked on the wee cocker.

Good luck :drink:

Hi dogdigger I had a similar problem with a cocker a few years back i had tried a lot of diferant tricks but nothing seemed to work then tried the following.

Sit the a dog and the dog with the problem beside you on a slope drop a tennis ball let it run down the hill send the retreiving dog do this a couple of times try and get the non retriever excited then send the non retriever dog its worth a try it worked on the wee cocker.

Good luck :drink:

hi bud if all that faille's go on to youtube and look at the force retrieve clips on there looks an easy option.

Force fetch solves retrieving problems. Looking on you tube to see how techniques are done is a good idea. But, having an experienced teacher would really make it easier. here's a couple links to a tutorial on the subject. This one doesn't involve an e-collar. But that can be an option if you have one and are pretty good with your timing. Timing is everything!

http://www.oakhillke...rce/force1.html

http://www.oakhillke...rce/force2.html

Good luck.

teach the hold command first. keep doing the hold until he will sit and hold what every your using. once the hold command is there then try it at meal times but instead of putting the dummy in mouth you put the dummy on floor in front of dog and then with the food bowl in hand you crouch and see if he is willing to bring the dummy to you for his food. if not then put the dummy in mouth and tell to hold. take a few steps back and call dog to you whilst he is holding dummy, if he drops it then you put it back in him mouth. once he brings it to you then you give him his feed. he will get the message after a bit but its a battle of wits i keep being told. yes i have been having this problem too, he is getting there and almost to hand without spitting it out but its taken time.

Phil.

Be very careful not to over treat the dog or he may start spitting the dummy ready for his treat, causing another problem. I would stop all training, just take him to the toilet & back to kennel/ house for a week (no running about) then after a week take him out to a field & get him really exited by teasing him with a dummy, throw it & let him chase,when he picks the dummy run/walk away in the opposite direction, not calling him or making any noise (by calling him it could be stopping him picking the dummy),he should come running back to you hopefully with dummy in mouth.praise with high pitched (squeaky) voice once you've taken the dummy off him, this should really excite the dog & start him retrieving. Hope this makes some kind of sense.

There is no right or wrong way to dog training, just what makes the dog tick.

good luck

Lee

swingtip-gundogs