hi all this is a bit of a new venture for me ,ive had a bit of land for years only small ,its a rectangle about400ft long and 50ft wide it is south facing ive put up a block of chicken runs and put fruit trees and fruit bushes around the outside,the ground is of poor quality but im going to have about hundred ton of topsoil delivered,

Im wondering if anyone knows of a good layoput for a vegg,herb ,fruit etc and what rotations to plant stuff where do the perrenials go etc i know nothing about this type of stuff any useful links ,ideas or plans will be appreciated much thanks

BULL.

when i started with my allotment i bought a book called the new complete book of self sufficiency. its by john seymour. this has all the info. you will need mate[plus a lot you wont.like making a composting toilet :sick:

you could also check out any local charity shops for any books of interest. i got one called simple vegetable growing which is great to keep on allotment for reference. if you need any quick info on veg beds i will bring it home and try and relay it to you.ATB bry

hi all this is a bit of a new venture for me ,ive had a bit of land for years only small ,its a rectangle about400ft long and 50ft wide it is south facing ive put up a block of chicken runs and put fruit trees and fruit bushes around the outside,the ground is of poor quality but im going to have about hundred ton of topsoil delivered,

Im wondering if anyone knows of a good layoput for a vegg,herb ,fruit etc and what rotations to plant stuff where do the perrenials go etc i know nothing about this type of stuff any useful links ,ideas or plans will be appreciated much thanks

BULL.

I know nothing about growing but I would advise you to ask at your local planning authority about importing 100 tons of soil on the ground before you do it :thumbs:

it aint rocket science mate,just board some beds out,as many as you want or can manage,add your soil and get a few bags of manure turned in it,horse will do but cow shit is a slower release fertiliser so lasts longer,and thats about it really,just plant what you eat most of,in my case its potatoes onions sweetcorn sprouts toms beetroot,this year tho im trying out a few different things like chard and squash,but remember some veg dont like heavily fertilised ground,like carrots and parsnips,so if your planning growing them dont put manure on the bed,its trial and error at 1st mate just look ont net and in books,it aint that difficult and nowt taste better than homegrown veg :thumbs:

Your garden sounds very similar to mine, long, thin and south facing. I dont really stick to the crop rotation that seriously, i just move things the yearly things about where i feel like it like potatoes, cabbages etc. Your perrenials will need to be planted somewhere your happy with as they will keep coming back - If your planning to get a rotavator then dont plant them smack bang in the middle of your allotment, things like that.

I have bramble right down one side of my garden to keep kids out and i get a good 1-2 lb of fruit daily at peak season too!

Ive just put a bed of asparagus down right at the top as hopefully they will be there for some years and i want them "out of the way". I also put jerusalem artichokes at the very top at the other side as they will not ony grow back again and again, but they are really tall and will block out the sun behind so are right at the back.

You want to be getting some rhubarb soon too, if you get that in now you will be benefitting from it shortly.

thanks for all your replies ,i remember buying a self sufficiency book years ago as ive had this bit off land over a decade done nothing with it,dug it out its that book by john seymour that robbo recommended ive never read it,until now. its absouloutly brilliant,

the land had varied uses and the topsoil was not to good so i scrapped back to level and start again and the local council phoned me and asked when i was going to put soil back in so there happy to see the raised beds going in .

ive planted over 20 fruit trees over the years around the perimeter and various soft fruits rasberry,red goosberry ,greengossbury ,blaccurrant .red currant etc .

got chicken pens in just the fronts to do ,

then the raised beds and milch for the walkways really looking forward to it to be honest.

"the land had varied uses and the topsoil was not to good so i scrapped back to level and start again and the local council phoned me and asked when i was going to put soil back in so there happy to see the raised beds going in ."

Thats good I did not want you getting into bother with the council thats all.

Best of luck with your project.

Hcc