Is it because he is young

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wouldnt advice running after your dog and "giving him a shake by the scruff" Its sending mixed messages, first your following him putting him in leadership position and even thinking its a game runn

Teach him not to jump up,or i know its embarrsing just let him get on with it, if it really bothers you advoid places times were you would meet other people.I remember a long time ago walking the dog

Posted Images

ffs if some of these blokes reckon the best thing to do is chase the dog down and teach ita lesson must read thier books.

mind you if they can out run a whippet they don't need a lurcher to catch the buns..

My sentiments exactly, if they can catch a lurcher they should be in the fcuking olympics, not fcuking up dogs to be sold on at 18 months old "through no fault of their own"

ffs if some of these blokes reckon the best thing to do is chase the dog down and teach ita lesson must read thier books.

mind you if they can out run a whippet they don't need a lurcher to catch the buns..

My sentiments exactly, if they can catch a lurcher they should be in the fcuking olympics, not fcuking up dogs to be sold on at 18 months old "through no fault of their own"

i could not even catch the terrier let alone my 5 month running dog :thumbs:

chasing a dog is not a good idea,stay the most interesting thing in the park and you wont need to.

waidmann

each to there own i supose better it be younger than 5months because you dont look a tit running around the feild sould be well under control by 5months ask anybody who really puts time into training there dogs most of the lab cocker lads wouldnt let time take its coures to how the dogs going to turn out they wouldnt leave it till 5 mounths to start basic training it works for me like i said each person is different as is each dog and all need different methods to bring them on

post-32034-126910011173_thumb.jpg

post-32034-126910018161_thumb.jpg

My 5 1/2 month collie whippet has perfect recall even when he is legging it away from me 50 yards away he comes as soon as I call, but when there are other people or dogs around he takes no notice and just runs up to them and returns in his own time which is quite embarassing. Will he grow out of this or does it need nipping in the bud now?

ha ha sounds like my dog mate last year and it proper pisses you off i dont no about your dog but mine has got better he would run the length of the field to see another dog and would just go deaf

My 5 1/2 month collie whippet has perfect recall even when he is legging it away from me 50 yards away he comes as soon as I call, but when there are other people or dogs around he takes no notice and just runs up to them and returns in his own time which is quite embarassing. Will he grow out of this or does it need nipping in the bud now?

In answer to your 1st question, it's not because he's young, it's because you haven't trained the recall. And yes it needs nipping in the bud. Most folk think they've trained thier dog to recall but they haven't, as it is in your case. A dog trained to recall, comes wether it wants to or not, it's not a matter of being more interesting than the distraction, it's a matter of conditioning the dog to believe there's no option but to obay the recall. Any dog will come if it wants to.I've tried to explain on another thread but all you get is folk that haven't got a clue argueing the toss. If you need advice pm me.

have you any pics of the pup? ive got old 20 month 1stx col whip very sensitive and clever, but knows im boss and does what told. tellin off to bad aint going do any good, it aint a gundog. try get pups attention when you see other people and get it in close before legs it off, then could always walk it over to socalise and get a play, when you want.

cheers

This is him at about 4 1/2 months, he's 3/4 whippet.

S7000753.jpg

At that age he is going to get excited,and want to play.Let him go and dont call him untill you see he`s bored or all ready looking for you,Then instead of him not coming and you calling, In his mind you call he comes back gets a pat.No point trying to tell a dog to do somthing its not going to do your just training it to ignore you.

At that age he is going to get excited,and want to play.Let him go and dont call him untill you see he`s bored or all ready looking for you,Then instead of him not coming and you calling, In his mind you call he comes back gets a pat.No point trying to tell a dog to do somthing its not going to do your just training it to ignore you.

Ah, at last , someone talking sence.