visla x springer

Go ahead and breed them feck wat everybody else thinks i own springers and have seen vizlas work with hawks and the result of a cross between the two would imho produce usefull hawking and rough shooting dogs especialy on moorland how do people think were most of our different gundogs originated from springers were bred from setters and the musterlaunder is only like a spaniel pointer typethumbs.gif

why go all the expence of importing a dog to just cross it for a pack of 'might works'

while your simple examples seem great in theory poacher you fail to take into account the selective breeding that went on after setter and spaniel blood was mixed and the results wouldn't have come through until after the cross put back over a parent breed.

crossing a flusher with a pointing breed will not enhance the pointing instinct, it would take a few generations to correct that back to the level you started with.

the munsterlander like the langhaar is a product of many years of controlled breeding i might add and never started out with an stupid comment like.......is there a market for them

hi any 1 had or seen a vizsla x ess, are they any good and is there an market for these kind of dogs.

NO, separately they are and No

I think their are enough breeds of gundogs out their with hundreds of years of breeding, crossing for longevity is bs more likley to produce dogs with problems inherent in either breed

atb

Breeding a pointer to a pointer (vizula to gasp etc) is a totally different kettle of fish to putting a Vizula to a spaniel.

Like i said, nothing against you doing it and be interested to see how it goes.

Whenever i have seen these 'brilliant' crosses in action ive never been that impressed. Yes they worked and did a good job but no better than anything else, plus there are plenty of the crosses that just dont make the grade.

Kiwi summed it up perfectly i feel.

I have a bit of a problem with the hero worship people give keepers. Just because a keeper had a dog and liked it does not mean its good cross. If that bloke had a yorkshire terrier crossed with a bichon frise and rckoned it was good does than mean anyhting? In my experience some keepers have good dogs but the majority have average dogs and are happy as long as they dont f**k off to the next county of peg birds

Dan

Go ahead and breed them feck wat everybody else thinks i own springers and have seen vizlas work with hawks and the result of a cross between the two would imho produce usefull hawking and rough shooting dogs especialy on moorland how do people think were most of our different gundogs originated from springers were bred from setters and the musterlaunder is only like a spaniel pointer typethumbs.gif

why go all the expence of importing a dog to just cross it for a pack of 'might works'

while your simple examples seem great in theory poacher you fail to take into account the selective breeding that went on after setter and spaniel blood was mixed and the results wouldn't have come through until after the cross put back over a parent breed.

crossing a flusher with a pointing breed will not enhance the pointing instinct, it would take a few generations to correct that back to the level you started with.

the munsterlander like the langhaar is a product of many years of controlled breeding i might add and never started out with an stupid comment like.......is there a market for them

the lad never imported the dog for x breading he imported to improve his own vizsla strain, he only Sade it was there if i wanted it at no cost.

crossing for longevity is bs more likley to produce dogs with problems inherent in either breed

atb

Have you been living under a rock? It's a well known fact that cross breeding has the opposite effect. Breed-specific problems are LESS likely to surface in cross breeds.

In a 13 year study on dogs Scott & Fuller (1965) found that F1 dogs were healthier, longer lived, grew more vigorously, that lactating bitches produced more milk..... but if you think you know better than these renowned researchers... :whistling:

However Dunc, you haven't said what type of work and terrain you want it for. Cross breeding can only be beneficial physiologically but behaviourally, you could end up with something unsuitable. You can't predict what mix of behavioural traits the pups will take from the parents for example you could end up with a wide-ranging dog that doesn't point. I knew a first cross GWP x Greyhound that showed no pointing instinct at 1 year old. Also, you don't know what coat type you will get if cover work is important to you. My GSP x Setter took the GSP coat. On the other hand you could be lucky and get the traits you want out of both breeds...something to think about

want for rough shooting i have gwp pup I'm going to use for deer. going to use spaniel stud, just don't like a spaniel with a tale looks crap.

i now have a kennel full of gwp's, as well as some pretty well bred cockers, both in there own right do the job no problem at all.

i can honestly say why would you need to cross them, the whole concept is just plain stupid.

you can also get the same benefits of cross breeding by using totally unrelated bloodlines of the same breed and the results don't have a big question mark over them.. food for thought :whistling:

i now have a kennel full of gwp's, as well as some pretty well bred cockers, both in there own right do the job no problem at all.

i can honestly say why would you need to cross them, the whole concept is just plain stupid.

you can also get the same benefits of cross breeding by using totally unrelated bloodlines of the same breed and the results don't have a big question mark over them.. food for thought :whistling:

put the cat amongst the pigeons with this topic 8)

kiwi you got a f.....g problem with me IE who you calling stupid.

Not saying dont do it but am saying that i dont quite see why. Personally i would go with the Spaniel Stud.

The advantages of cross breeding are longevity, hybrid vigour and improved health. Fair play to you for being responsible enough to think about finding homes for surplus pups. I have worked pure GSPs, Pointers and English Setters but my favourite was an accidentally bred cross between an English Setter and a GSP. I have seen a lot of Viszlas field trial and in my opinion their advantage is that they are more biddable and easily controlled than some other HPRs. The ones I have seen tended not be as hard driven as GSPs, they were calmer and were soft mouthed and didn't range as wide. The Wirehaired Viszla stems from crossing GWPs and Viszlas and although I've not seen one work, I've heard good reports. Cross breeding is not a crime.

hi nijinski,different subject but saw your profile says you are from cork.your profile pic shows dog and small deer,that wasn't caught in cork or even ireland was it??

Edited by dave a

Not saying dont do it but am saying that i dont quite see why. Personally i would go with the Spaniel Stud.

The advantages of cross breeding are longevity, hybrid vigour and improved health. Fair play to you for being responsible enough to think about finding homes for surplus pups. I have worked pure GSPs, Pointers and English Setters but my favourite was an accidentally bred cross between an English Setter and a GSP. I have seen a lot of Viszlas field trial and in my opinion their advantage is that they are more biddable and easily controlled than some other HPRs. The ones I have seen tended not be as hard driven as GSPs, they were calmer and were soft mouthed and didn't range as wide. The Wirehaired Viszla stems from crossing GWPs and Viszlas and although I've not seen one work, I've heard good reports. Cross breeding is not a crime.

hi nijinski,different subject but saw your profile says you are from cork.your profile pic shows dog and small deer,that wasn't caught in cork or even ireland was it??

Hi Dave, no it was caught in england pre ban. The dog is now 9 years old.

o [bANNED TEXT] partly guessed that,never saw one of those in cork.

kiwi you got a f.....g problem with me IE who you calling stupid.

i was refering to the whole concept as being stupid, stupid is a twit in scotland trying to pick a fight with someone on the other side of the world with a key board......think about it aye before you go off half cocked :icon_eek:

Poacher

Just noticed your sign off

'Lurcher to Lurcher bred lurchers are the Best'

Why dont you cross your lurchers out to a beagle, or a fox hound. I have seen these type of dogs work and they do a good job.

However they do the job differently to your dogs.

If lurcher to lurcher is the way forward how can you argue that spaniel to spaniel isnt?

Dan