Best time of day to go for rabbits.

What is the best time of day to go after rabbits, with a rifle.

Early morning or early evening.

went out lamping with a couple of mates on land that was supposed to be over run with rabbits. We started at 19.00 and were there for about 1 1/2 hrs. We didn't see one. Does the temp have any bearing on them coming out.

Ian.

theres no set rule mate every permission is different and yes the temp could dictate how many is out and about

its a case of trial and error next time instead of going out at 19:00 go out after 00:00 and take a flask we normally start about 23:30 and were out all night if it goes quiet head to the pick up and have a couple of hours cuppa and sandwich give the place time to settle down again then off we go again if its a warm day head out early afternoon you'll get them sunbathing but like i say [bANNED TEXT] its all rial and error

atb gary

yes mate it does. also rabbits hate due on the ground

See, ive heard that rabbits like the due as they suck the grass to get the moisture out of it?

From my experience tho, ive found each permission is different. Ive seen bunnys sitting outside in the pouring rain eating grass. Some love sunbathing and just sit there in the sun seemingly asleep. Some only come out dusk / dawn, others spend all day running around. Maybe it depends upon how threatened they feel and what they are used to.

In general though, i certainly notice more bunnies are out about at night, around 11pm. The local fields and grass verges near where I live just come alive. I didnt realise there were so many bunnys about.

Id experiment if I was you, just hit the fields at various times of the day/night. Sometimes you have to just hide up somewhere, lay there & wait.

Its the years old question buddy. Everywhere is a bit different and changes over time. Only by spending time there will you get a feel for it, and even then, you may have it right and be on the wrong end of luck that evening! Just got to take it in your stride and keep at it!

Jack

Your best bet is to get out there and have a look at whats happening on your patch, thats the only way to find the best time, but, to my knowlage there is no best time, or there would be some very fat predators around :thumbs:

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Keep an eye out and you will see rabbits 24hrs a day.

What suits them one day may not suit them the next.

If I have any free time I get out there, no matter what time it is .If your not there you won`t shoot them .

Saying that, a good technique is to get yoursell settled looking on to a burrow at dusk and snipe the wee buggers as there heading out.

Guest hunter 2010

i do a hell of alot of rabbit hunting and find that in my fields they tend to come out around 10.30pm and start going back in there burrows around 6.30am,so it depends on the feilds,the type of grass,how safe they feel,the weather but like people have already said they are out at all different times.what would be a idea is just go walking and see if you see much in the day if not try night ok good luck

No matter what time I walk up to my permissions, I see bunnies on the embankment of the overpass road.

But when I get to my permission, it seems like they only like to play early morning or late night!

Little B :censored: s

I really need to get the permission next to that embankment :yes:

Phantom

No matter what time I walk up to my permissions, I see bunnies on the embankment of the overpass road.

But when I get to my permission, it seems like they only like to play early morning or late night!

Phantom

Thats similar to the fields i pass on the way home from work. They are in close proximity to a road, so you probably arnt allowed to shoot so close to a public highway. The bunnys must know this, hense its their party area!

Phantom

Thats similar to the fields i pass on the way home from work. They are in close proximity to a road, so you probably arnt allowed to shoot so close to a public highway. The bunnys must know this, hense its their party area!

Yeah they must do:thumbs:

Davy and Stealthy tried to eg me on to bop a few, but as the local Police station is only a few hundred yards down the road, I figured I dare not use their building as a safe backstop :11:

Phantom

Phantom

Yeah they must do:thumbs:

Davy and Stealthy tried to eg me on to bop a few, but as the local Police station is only a few hundred yards down the road, I figured I dare not use their building as a safe backstop :11:

Phantom

When was the last time you laid an egg mate :laugh: