centre fire rifle

I rarely clean rifles, should probably do it more often.

Best thing I've found to clean bores is the Outers Foul-Out machine. You'd be amazed at how much crap comes out of your barrel. What I was surprised at when I cleaned the barrel of a .308 I've had for years was the amount of lead it brought out - even though I can't ever remember firing lead bullets through it. All I can assume is that it's been stuff that's been vaporised off the base of FMJ bullets or, more likely I think, from the primer as they use a lead-based explosive.

J.

I clean mine after it is shot. I was told by a riflemaker that he gets more business re-barreling from uncleaned barrels (and moderators left on) than through being worn out through over use.

ft

i do it every time 'till its squeaky clean with my HMR as they're jacketed bullets, same goes for CF rifles (unless you're only pushing hard cast bullets at low velocities)- yup clean it every time. powder residue is highly hygroscopic, that is to say it attracts moisture and moisture = rust! even with a so called "stainless" barrel, in reality only rust resistant....

DB

HI guys been out to zero my new 6.4x55 today and was wondering how often i should be cleaning my barrel?

never clean my .22lr but not sure about centrefires?

i may e opening a can of worms here!? :icon_eek:

I clean my centefires after about 50 or so shots, to be honest I don't count them though, I think my 22.250 gets a bit more often than the .270

but that's because I shoot much more ammo through it, and I believe the '250 is a bit hotter than the .270 velocity wise and is therefore more prone

to copper fouling? I use Remington bore cleaner.

My .22RF gets a good clean when I get round to it but not that often, and usually at the same time I'm doing the other two, I only shoot sub-

sonics as well.

I NEVER use the beastly crown bashing boresnake!! Also I use bore guides for the cleaning rods, and only top quality coated rods and bore brushes.

If you need any decent cleaning gear look at the 'Midway UK' website, non better, top selection and very good service.

AndyF

HI guys been out to zero my new 6.4x55 today and was wondering how often i should be cleaning my barrel?

never clean my .22lr but not sure about centrefires?

i may e opening a can of worms here!? :icon_eek:

always clean my c/f's but put a fowling round through before I go start my next shooting as a clean barrel does affect point of impact.cleaning does prolong barrel life.

I was once under the mistaken impression that a cleaned bore (C/F) needed a fouling shot to bring the group back. Now I disagree with that statement. I shoot 6.5, a 17 Rem and two 22.250s and can honestly say after cleaning, the second bullet goes virtually in the same hole as the first - reason? Perfecting one's cleaning regime.

To the bore snake boys - dont bother reading any further as your accuracy is going to be compromised by erosion of your crown - some say better not to clean your rifle than use a snake.

There is no substitute for getting the right tools and cleaning solvents. It takes me about 3/4 hour to clean the bore of any of my c/fs. It should also be born in mind that it is one thing to remove particles of copper from the bore and un burnt powder with your chosen solvent but shooters should be aware that there is another problem that affects accuracy no matter how regular your are with your cleaning and that is carbon build up in the throat of the barrel - just about all solvents will remove some of it but never all of it. Anyone who know anything about rifle cleaning will be using J B Compound to remove this carbon every 50 shots or so.

Yes I clean my rifle every time I take it out whether pulling the trigger or not. I do not however bore clean my 22LR as it shoots sub sonic.

Well, there are two of us at least with the same views here :thumbs::thumbs: , but I suspect still the minority.....I'll just go and put my tin hat on...ATB!!!

NO 3 of us

I clean mine after it is shot. I was told by a riflemaker that he gets more business re-barreling from uncleaned barrels (and moderators left on) than through being worn out through over use.

ft

I clean every time it goes out.

Flytie,

How do you find the cleaning with the Federal 140gr MOLY stuff? I can never seem to get a clean patch no matter how many times i jag and patch / brush the bore even with the use of Tetra solvent? I can push out blue patches all day!

ft

Flytie,

How do you find the cleaning with the Federal 140gr MOLY stuff? I can never seem to get a clean patch no matter how many times i jag and patch / brush the bore even with the use of Tetra solvent? I can push out blue patches all day!

Copper fouling is extremely difficult to remove and even a tiny amount left in the bore will produce blue patches. Only time I've ever managed to get barrels totally clean is with the FoulOut machine. Still takes a while though.

J.

ft

Flytie,

local, I have only ever used Powershok's in the federal range, and i do not believe that they are moly coated.

My cleaning routine is; Take off the mod and squirt with WD40, swill it round and shake out the excess, then leave to dry on a radiator or in the airing cupboard.

Place rifle (with magazine out) in its cleaning rack/station and put in bore guide. Squirt with Forrest Bore foam and leave for 45 mins minimum, normally 2 or 3 hours. Then I roll my bronze bore brush in Hoppes BR no9 and push up and down the bore 6 times. Clean brush with meths and dry it before putting away.

Then I change to a spear point jag and push a patch through the bore guide to the solvent port, pour in some solvent and push the patch through the barrel. Discard the patch, clean the rod and leave the rifle for 30-45mins, or more if i forget. Patch out until the patches come out clean. Clean the rod regularly when doing this.

Then I take the bore guide out and wipe it clean, and dry the rifle chamber/throat with a patch or two, this takes out any cleaning fluid residue that has pooled in front of the bore guide. Then patch the barrel until the patches come out clean.

Then I put a small amount of 3 in 1 oil on a patch and push through the bore. Then patch out until the patches come out clean.

I do not find that I get any fliers using this method, although I have read on another site it is advisable to do a final patch out with some methylated spirit to remove any trace of oil. I can imagine if you were bench resting this might be to your advantage, but practise at targets has proven to me that this is unnecessary.

Perhaps this seems a real faff for those of you who shoot really regularly. But so far this year I have only had one fallow pricket, three fallow does, one roe doe and 12 foxes. So I have only cleaned my rifle 7 times after the seven outings when it was used.

I also use a very little moly grease on the bolt lugs, moderator threads and a wipe down on the outside of the metalwork with WD40 on a rag.

ft

ft

Thats very helpful FT - thing i'll try some of that myself. Are these the rounds you use - If so I was always under the impression their slightly 'blue/black' coating was the moly stuff? Maybe i'm wrong - certainly wouldn't be the first time!

post-4425-126824871528_thumb.jpg

Clean both my .243 & .308 after every outing. If I haven't shot the rifle, then I just use oil but after shooting just one round, I'll use solvent. My rifles are zeroed with a cold barrel zero which takes an age to do. After six rounds my .243" will shoot .5" high and to the right, my .308" 3/4" low.

I always degrease the barrel before use.

My .22rf has never been cleaned.

John

Edited by HUnter_zero