shooting hares

Wow, how clever, shooting hares!!

Quote of the day wins a t-shirt :thumbs:

post-31547-126799466017.jpg

Make sure you send it then ARCHIE, or are you not a man of your word... Coz i am, and like all twats i can make things look a mess, especially soft things. No need for talk of such a nature, careful Archie....

And what is actually difficult about shooting a hare...

I would say it is not less difficult than shooting a target but people do both as they enjoy it and it is a challege. And thats ignoring the fact that in some places they are a pest which adds another reason. What is less difficult about a hare than any other pest species? I am unsure of your arguement exactly. The guy wanted to know if it was legal.

I don't think it's ilegal to stone hares to death but would you do it ? :censored:

I think you will find that stoning hares to death is probably illegal as that would almost certainly be classed as cruelty to animals. Could get you a max sentence of 51 weeks in prison and a max £20,000 fine. So probably not a good idea.

So basically Toddy it is legal to shoot hares but they are not technically covered under the general license for air rifles so it's a bit of a grey area. However it is illegal to shoot them at night and also it is illegal to sell them between between 1st March and 31st July (if you really wanted to sell them???? :huh: )

All the best

Freddy

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow, how clever, shooting hares!!

Picture is a Hare heart showing pellet damage and the pellet that caused it is my guess.

Posted Images

LOL, "you have to get near a hare to shoot it"...you think that is difficult.... they are the easiest wild animal to get on top of once found! I have lost count of how many i have nearly trodden on this season. Many times we have nudged them with a foot to make the hare get up and go...

And yes, when it was legal to run hares with dogs, the dog did do most of the work once the hare was found... You have to find them first. Hence the term, going for a mooch.... I h ave walked 100's of miles in certain areas without coming across ahare....

And A rchie i would gladly give you my address but i am afriad iam not a fool... You could be an anti or a copper. I'll give you a po box should i? As i would really like to collect my prize..

P.S where do you go walking Archie?

We all remember your quote. We also remember your first one too, "Wow, how clever, shooting hares!!". Which unsurprisingly people took to mean that you didn't agree with shooting hares. If thats not what you meant then maybe you should word your responses more carefully so that there is not confusion about your intention.

ATB

Freddy

That is my opinion, i dont think it is clever shooting hares, like i dont think it to clev sooting fox but thats my opinion Freddy.....

The "QUESTION" i asked was, what is difficult about shooting a hare... I cant see how hard it can be to shoot an animal that will squatt and let you nearly stand on it....so i poped the question freddy...

Why are Hares being considered a pest here? They actually do very little damage unless in HUGE numbers which doesnt really happen these days. I used to live in eastern and central europe where there were many many hares but in places no rabbits. Very little damage to crops was done. The reason for this is hares graze over a large area, picking at food so they have little impact on grass land or crops. Rabbits however move and eat, moving out from one point, so therefore are able to strip land.

You can kill a hare with an air gun. But i dont really see the point, go find a rabbit instead - there are way more of them, they do more damage and they taste better.

Also the problem for hares currently, is that they breed slower, have smaller litters and many many die due to the introduction of mechanized farming (combine harvesters kill leverets etc) and also since the ban on hunting with dogs WAY more people go out every night looking for them.

These days if you shoot the hare you see in the field you walk in, chances are you aint gonna see a hare there again. It's sad.

jmo

Jai.

that was exactly my point too. they only have one litter a year and live abover ground they really arnt a pest. i have shot about 20 in my life and that was when i was a child and didnt know better. now i leave them well alone. theyre nice creatures and like said theres plenty of a rabbits. if someone wants to course them for a bit of sport then fair enough and if someone wants to shoot them then fair enough, i just won't be doing either

LOL, "you have to get near a hare to shoot it"...you think that is difficult.... they are the easiest wild animal to get on top of once found! I have lost count of how many i have nearly trodden on this season. Many times we have nudged them with a foot to make the hare get up and go...

And yes, when it was legal to run hares with dogs, the dog did do most of the work once the hare was found... You have to find them first. Hence the term, going for a mooch.... I h ave walked 100's of miles in certain areas without coming across ahare....

And A rchie i would gladly give you my address but i am afriad iam not a fool... You could be an anti or a copper. I'll give you a po box should i? As i would really like to collect my prize..

P.S where do you go walking Archie?

I can asure you i am not an anti or copper, and just like you no fool. Or maybe i am for taking the bait who knows we all have opinions, right or wrong in others eyes.As for walking i usualy frequent North Wales when i get the chance but who knows i may try the Fells one day .Looks stunning but not sure about the locals :thumbs:

The "QUESTION" i asked was, what is difficult about shooting a hare... I cant see how hard it can be to shoot an animal that will squatt and let you nearly stand on it....so i poped the question freddy...

But you would let your mutt chase it down and savage it? (when it was legal to do so of course).

Personally I have only seen one Hare close up, and posted about it on here, before we lost the database.

I was out for a wander (needed the air) a few miles from here. The farmer was in his combine in the next field.

When I spotted this HUGE animal that resembled a bunny. Ive seen them from a distance but not close up before.

Having stopped to admire the creature, it headed towards me. I must admit, if I had walked into the field, I got the feeling I would have been able to get close enough to reach down and kneck it :yes:

What I want to know is why is it acceptable (even if not legal) to chase them down with mutts that will savage them to death or kill them with a .22 rimmy or a 12guage, when they are obviously (due to their very poor forward looking eyesight) easy to shoot with an airgun?

If you approach a Hare from the side or behind, I believe they will not (according to the boffins) let you anywhere near them.

Anyhow' yes it is legal to kill them with an airgun, would I do it? I'm not sure; possibly just one as I have not yet tasted Hare.

Would I use a rimmy or a 12 guage from a distance? NO I would not :no:

Would I use a mutt to run one down? I'd rather shoot the mutt AND its owner :yes:

If the land owner who gave me the permission said "I want shut of the Hares" I'd do it. If he said "I want you to knock over the Jays" then yes I would do that also.

Would I choose to kill them off my own back? I doubt it because round here they seem to be few and far between, as are the Jays (Never seen a living Jay).

Now I think the original question has been answered; Even if it has not been to some peoples liking.

Can we now draw a line under it Pretty Please, with a Cherry (or even a pellet) on top :thumbs:

I now shall ask a Mod to lock this thread :yes:

Phantom

Edited by Phantom

So mutts savage hares then they dont leave a lead pellet in the guts to die i lingering death in some caseswallbash.gif

Not if the shooter is competent , if he/she isn't a competant marksman they should not be shooting at anything other than paper targets in my humble opinion.

Phantom