Keeping Bantams with large breeds

I've only ever kept bantams but have considered adding large fowl but was worried about the same. However, I was told that chickens can be a bit like dogs ie they don't realise how small they are.

Put my 4 bantams in to the hen house last night when my rhodeIsland hen and light sussex rooster were perched and dopey! had to lift out the bantams this morning as they didnt stir after 3 hours of me opening the hen house door. there has been no problems with the two big birds and they seem to be getting on fine. the big hen gives the banties the odd peck but nothing aggressive. I will probably have to lift the banties in to the hen house tonight until they get used to their new home. Il try get a few photos up soon.

• 2 weeks later...

As others have said as long as you have enough room for the number of birds you should be fine. I have 12 regular hens, 3 regular roosters, a reverse trio of frizzle cochins, 3 bantam hens, 8 ducks and 2 ganders. They tend to stay together in a few groups and the rare scuffles are quickly over. I enjoy my mixed flock a lot, the size and species varieties makes it all more interesting.

it must be a dutch bantam thing,

ive new pair of dutch bantams i bought today for my OH,

also bought a large game cock,

was funny watching the bantam cock trying to challenge the gamecock to a fight,

the gamecock didnt seem to notice this small thing pecking him though the bars,

if he had noticed it would have been bye bye bantam cock!