Trap Pans on body grips

Hi all, a friend of mine knocked me up some trap pans out of scrap aluminium. What do you think of them?

Picture002.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Here is the set up.

Image0066.jpg

Image0065.jpg

They seem to work at least.

Image0084.jpg

Image0085.jpg

Image0086.jpg

H

Edited by Holdaway

Interesting, ive never used them with tredplates before, il have to give them a go. Where do ye get them from pal? :thumbs:

edit>>>>> i was too busy looking at your pictures, i see your mate made them for you. Have you noticed any real advantage over the normal prongs in any situations or were they more of an experiment? Thanks :thumbs:

Edited by COSH

Just somethng different to try thats all Ian, I have seen the Americans use them and thought I would give them a go.

That was a bad catch, the 116 didn't kill the animal as quickly as I would have liked, as you can se it bit the front jaw of the trap, a little adjustment is needed I think.

H

The BMI dinnerbell style trigger is probably the best you can get and will catch everything in this country from rat rabbit to mink, its easy to adjust accordingly... I know it sounds negative but I honestly cannot see the need for a plate on a bodygrip... 120-2 whats the benefits you mention over the standard trigger ?

Ian, I use them only for mink and if the pan is fitted and postioned correctly you get a double strike everytime, I not saying that you won't with a normal trigger but with pan the mink is caught by both jaws everytime. This is only personal experience and I am sure many will disagree but its what works for you.

Whatever suits 120-2 , not needed in my opinion, the design is ideal as it is, 1000's upon 1000's of mink have been taken as they are, why not set the trigger dog harder ?

It would be good to hear others opinions...

WELL CHALKIE ,

I MUST ADMIT IVE BEEN USING PANS FOR THE BODYGRIPS .... ON A SUCESSFUL MINK LINE THIS YEAR

HOWEVER I MUCH PREFER THE TRIGGER WIRES ON BODYGRIPPERS FOR MINK , [ SOME SITUATIONS CALL FOR A TRACE WIRE ] ....... FOR RATS.... WELL..... NO DOUBT SOME OF YOU GUYS HAVE A LOT MORE DIVERSE SITUATIONS TO TRAP THAN ME WITH MY GREEN HILLS AND VALLEYS :D

HOWEVER IN THE FEW I HAVE TRAPPED IN THE URBAN SPRAWL I MUST ADMIT I HAVE NEVER FAILED WITH THE MODIFIED VICTOR OF OLD G.W.s .. AND THEY CERTAINLY PACK A WOLLOP , NOT ONE EVEN LOOKS LIKED ITS KICKED A LEG !

IVE USED BOTH PLY TREADLES [ WHICH WORK VERY WELL AND THE MINK SEEM TO PREFER UNDERFOOT ] AND BELIVE IT OR NOT THE ABSOLUTE CLONE OF HOLDAWAYS TREADLE ...... I GET THESE FROM A LOCAL ELECTRICAL COMPONANT MANUFACTURER WHICH ARE SPRING STEEL ... I GOT THE IDEA AFTER SEEING WOODGAS HOME MADE SQUIRREL CATCH ALIVE TRAPS LOCKING DEVISE

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING

he will surely think of me,.. with a handful of new Ali-Pans,....

Make that half a handfull after i take my share, well! considering that i gave you the pan that you gave to Holdaway :laugh::laugh:

But,.did I actually give the communal Hampshire trap pan to Holdaway,...I just cannot remember,..anything.... :icon_eek:

But,..IF I DID,...will he remember ,...?

Obviously,...IF I am the recipient of an unexpected , but richly deserved gift,.I will make sure that you get your RUSTY old original one back :laugh: :laugh:

All the best,...CHALKWARREN.... :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink::toast:

INSTEAD! I will send you some illustrated instructions of where you can insert the "Rusty old original one" :D

You may need to use some of your latex gloves...

WELL CHALKIE ,

I MUST ADMIT IVE BEEN USING PANS FOR THE BODYGRIPS .... ON A SUCESSFUL MINK LINE THIS YEAR

HOWEVER I MUCH PREFER THE TRIGGER WIRES ON BODYGRIPPERS FOR MINK , [ SOME SITUATIONS CALL FOR A TRACE WIRE ] ....... FOR RATS.... WELL..... NO DOUBT SOME OF YOU GUYS HAVE A LOT MORE DIVERSE SITUATIONS TO TRAP THAN ME WITH MY GREEN HILLS AND VALLEYS :D

HOWEVER IN THE FEW I HAVE TRAPPED IN THE URBAN SPRAWL I MUST ADMIT I HAVE NEVER FAILED WITH THE MODIFIED VICTOR OF OLD G.W.s .. AND THEY CERTAINLY PACK A WOLLOP , NOT ONE EVEN LOOKS LIKED ITS KICKED A LEG !

IVE USED BOTH PLY TREADLES [ WHICH WORK VERY WELL AND THE MINK SEEM TO PREFER UNDERFOOT ] AND BELIVE IT OR NOT THE ABSOLUTE CLONE OF HOLDAWAYS TREADLE ...... I GET THESE FROM A LOCAL ELECTRICAL COMPONANT MANUFACTURER WHICH ARE SPRING STEEL ... I GOT THE IDEA AFTER SEEING WOODGAS HOME MADE SQUIRREL CATCH ALIVE TRAPS LOCKING DEVISE

ALL THE BEST as duckwing says the wooden pan is excellent, iwas shown this method 20 yrs ago in B C canada from my pro. trapper mate peter,he was using them on 120 conibears and i used them over here and the mink were well suitcased with a double strike everytime,and were lying stone dead at the tunnel or hole entrance,the half circle trigger shape is also good with a double strand of rabbit snarewire ,they can see through the triggers and i never ever had a problem taking mink or rabbits with them, and ive certainly trapped enough of them. sometimes the the steel prongs can cause avoidance at times the same when trapping marten, but there is a very simple trick to correct this.on the bigger 330s the steel triggers can cause wolverine to avoid the trap,once again easy to rectify.good to see you are trying different ideas.snareman.

DUCKWING

got several writings on the pans for body grips here at the moment in fur feather mag, and some good prices for them ,they are popular for mink hunters over in the usa ,over here they sell there traps by the dozen ,pretty intresting stuff, the gila forest is 3.5 million acres of wilderness for trapping ,the buro mountaings not as big, you get bob cat fox red and grey ,ringtails ,mink, and some stoats odd badger , my freind who makes his winter money with trapping was uporth getting pine martens , this years he got thity five in a fortnite they killed out at 30 dollars so was a happy man , cheers