'The Lambourn Show'

Do any of you remember the lambourn show,maybe your parents/relatives. I am hoping to bring this back VERY soon as my FMWTC annual terrier,lurcher and family dog show. It will be held on one of the origional fields and hopefully go well. I have spoken to one person who remembers some of it,he was 17yrs old at the time,hes now 42 and as far as i can gather,that was the last show. Ive tried looking through the internet but cant find nothing. If you do remember it OR someone you know remembers it,id really like a chat. :notworthy:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the origenal lambourn was the best bar none every kind of lurcher you could imagine and every kind of lurcher owner you could imagine . and i would think that at that time there wasnt many lurchers

Do any of you remember the lambourn show,maybe your parents/relatives. I am hoping to bring this back VERY soon as my FMWTC annual terrier,lurcher and family dog show. It will be held on one of the origional fields and hopefully go well. I have spoken to one person who remembers some of it,he was 17yrs old at the time,hes now 42 and as far as i can gather,that was the last show. Ive tried looking through the internet but cant find nothing. If you do remember it OR someone you know remembers it,id really like a chat. :notworthy:

I went, must be 30 years ago now. All I can remember is it was held on a sloping field with the racing on a flat bit at the bottem. Not much help I know. :blush:

Edited by romany52

I went, must be 30 years ago now. All I can remember is it was held on a sloping field with the racing on a flat bit at the botten. Not much help I know. :blush:

im holding it on a paddock before it was moved to seven barrows where the sloping field is. how old were you at the time?

I went, must be 30 years ago now. All I can remember is it was held on a sloping field with the racing on a flat bit at the botten. Not much help I know. :blush:

im holding it on a paddock before it was moved to seven barrows where the sloping field is. how old were you at the time?

I would have been in my 20's mate, seven barrows rings a bell, I drove down from the midlands with a couple of mates.

would have been seven barrows by the sounds of it. from what ive been told the punters came from all over the country and ireland. its going to be a charity event,the charity being 'HELP FOR HEROES'. i am in the process of putting the scuedule together at the moment. what else do you remember of it?

would have been seven barrows by the sounds of it. from what ive been told the punters came from all over the country and ireland. its going to be a charity event,the charity being 'HELP FOR HEROES'. i am in the process of putting the scuedule together at the moment. what else do you remember of it?

Can't remember much else, seem to remember a bit of a wood down one side of the field, the beer tent, a good selection of nobs, travelers and rogues, oh and some of the lads coursing in the adjacent fields, plus the usual falling out over the racing.

thank you pal.of course this wont be a lurcher only event but i do hope i get a good turn out.can you remember if there were any marquees there and what was on sale? will you be coming,be nice to have one of the origional lads turn up ;)

Can't remember much else, seem to remember a bit of a wood down one side of the field, the beer tent, a good selection of nobs, travelers and rogues, oh and some of the lads coursing in the adjacent fields, plus the usual falling out over the racing.

hope this one runs smoothly as it will just ruin it for the rest of us AND there is likely to be young children there ;)

i went to most of them .the one that sticks out in my mind is for all the wrong reasons two travellers had a big money supposedly. bare nuckle fight there and it all went wrong and the biggest scrap ive ever seen in my life went up hot dog vans and ice cream vans went over and fighting breaking out all over the place quite frightening at the time as my family were very young at this time. but that aside lambourn was the place to be if you were into lurchers anyone that was anyone in the lurcher world was at lambourn and people from the 4 home countries flooded to the place for the weekend it was on . the classes were massive biggest i have ever seen and lots of characters gathered at lambourn all kinds of lurchers from pups to aged dogs were on sale and the hares for miles around must have been glad when it ended because they were run relentless the whole weekend . lets hope you can get it off the ground and it runs smoothly without trouble for you good luck.

Good luck mate theirs a booklet about it by hancockthumbs.gif Should be a good show as long as a couple of travellers dont decide to settle their scores therelaugh.gif

hey poach,i did see there was a booklet about it but id imagine it would cost a small fortune.i may ring david to get some information.

i went to most of them .the one that sticks out in my mind is for all the wrong reasons two travellers had a big money supposedly. bare nuckle fight there and it all went wrong and the biggest scrap ive ever seen in my life went up hot dog vans and ice cream vans went over and fighting breaking out all over the place quite frightening at the time as my family were very young at this time. but that aside lambourn was the place to be if you were into lurchers anyone that was anyone in the lurcher world was at lambourn and people from the 4 home countries flooded to the place for the weekend it was on . the classes were massive biggest i have ever seen and lots of characters gathered at lambourn all kinds of lurchers from pups to aged dogs were on sale and the hares for miles around must have been glad when it ended because they were run relentless the whole weekend . lets hope you can get it off the ground and it runs smoothly without trouble for you good luck.

not too many hares left it the valleys now mate,theres been alot of shoots aimed at drastically reducing the hare population because of the coursing,sad really.

ive quite a few boys coming from all corners(mainly wales),each have said should they see any trouble,it will be nipped in the bud.i dearly hope there isnt any,not often is there trouble the shows now so fingers crossed.do hope i see you there ;)

I remember going a few times, The last time I went was the time Jack Hargreaves was filming for his Out of Town , you may find some of this footage some where. After that big fight it was moved to Newbury race course but only lasted a year or 2. I got to go to work now, but if you want any more info p.m. me and I,ll strain my small brain and try and remember. Remember the write ups in daily papers at the time , all b*llocks about mass fights and supposed badger baiting etc.