Factory Farm

this is simply a result of market forces, theyve pushed the margin so small people have to keep large numbers to exist. i know this case is a bit extreeme but its the way things are heading like it or not. we milk on our farm only about 60 cows and were getting 21pence a litre at the moment when its priced at 75p a litre at the shop its disgusting that price is an insult for the dedication involved with dairying milking twice a day 365! rain or shine

What makes me laugh is that people on here are jumping on their bandwaggon and completely forgeting this is the same method the media/animal rights organisations use to turn people against hunting.

Twisting the truth and clever use of language is all that is needed in this day and age to turn the general public against an idea.

I think if you have relatively little idea of a concept, you should reserve your judgement.

Much the same as townies should reserve their judgement on hunting matters.

FTB

i have been to a few of these farms. and there is no animal crulty, they are looked after very well. Yes the cows dont go out but its all they know. But where do you draw the line what about all the indoor chicken sheds and indoor pig units. The farmer is not the one to blame it is the consumer/supermarkets and them/us that is to blame. The market is worked out by what we pay for our food. Most of the public shop my their purse/wallets we want cheap food so the costs have to reduced the supermarkets know this thats why they have the price battles. So in the end it is the farmer that gets paid peanuts so they have to do what ever they can do to make a profit which is not very often. So these large farms/units are popping up as they are the ones that can make a profit. You only need to see how many dairy farmers are going under each week .

for those that dont understand a couple of things.

dairy cows dont go into meat pies when there life ends in the parlour.

all cows must be under 30 month old to go into the food chain.

the other point is, what is the diffrence between these farms and small farms 200-400 milkers who also keep the high yielders in day and night on a controlled diet?

ive been farming for over 15 yrs, on permanent farms and then set up a relief milking business and i can tell you that you would be shocked if you saw the way some cows are kept on the original family farms. there are the high yielding herds which are kept in 24/7 with a very high standard of welfare. then others like the nz system where they stop out all year no matter what the weather is like, after 15yrs of milking i know what cows i prefer to milk .

at the end of the day farmers need to make money, theres a dairy farmer going out of milk every day.

whether cows are kept in on a intensive system or out on a low cost system,

if it keeps the farmer in his proffesion and milk being produced in this country we should support them.

for those that dont understand a couple of things.

dairy cows dont go into meat pies when there life ends in the parlour.

all cows must be under 30 month old to go into the food chain.

the other point is, what is the diffrence between these farms and small farms 200-400 milkers who also keep the high yielders in day and night on a controlled diet?

ive been farming for over 15 yrs, on permanent farms and then set up a relief milking business and i can tell you that you would be shocked if you saw the way some cows are kept on the original family farms. there are the high yielding herds which are kept in 24/7 with a very high standard of welfare. then others like the nz system where they stop out all year no matter what the weather is like, after 15yrs of milking i know what cows i prefer to milk .

at the end of the day farmers need to make money, theres a dairy farmer going out of milk every day.

whether cows are kept in on a intensive system or out on a low cost system,

if it keeps the farmer in his proffesion and milk being produced in this country we should support them.

That ruling was introduced when BSE was rife. Fair comments from the farmers who are at the sharp end though.

Nice to get a level headed debate going for once.

Thanks to all who have posted.

Ric