A friend of mines dog has started to chew the pads on its feet,Im just wondering what you lads think coulld be causing the dog to do this.He is taking it in to the vets today but he just wanted an idea before he goes.A lad I know said it could be too much protein and another said it could be just boredom.Thanks for anyreplies.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Your mate will, no doubt, have been to the vet's by now. But this one caught my eye too.

If it's specifically his pads he's targeting? See above. Also look extremely closely between them. And then keep a check. This especially if it's just the one foot. (I'm generalising here, for the gallery, you understand?)

Otherwise, a Dog constantly licking and chewing at his feet, particularly around this time of year and if he also scratched his neck to head area? Dust Mites would be the Numero Uno Suspect. They catch up between the toes as the Dog scratches them from else where.

Obviously ye'll be letting us know the verdict. I for one will be looking foreward to that with deep interest.

Your mate will, no doubt, have been to the vet's by now. But this one caught my eye too.

If it's specifically his pads he's targeting? See above. Also look extremely closely between them. And then keep a check. This especially if it's just the one foot. (I'm generalising here, for the gallery, you understand?)

Otherwise, a Dog constantly licking and chewing at his feet, particularly around this time of year and if he also scratched his neck to head area? Dust Mites would be the Numero Uno Suspect. They catch up between the toes as the Dog scratches them from else where.

Obviously ye'll be letting us know the verdict. I for one will be looking foreward to that with deep interest.

our dog had harvest mites inbetween his toes, they are tiny little orange things hard to see if you dont look closely. we sprayed inbetween the pads with frontline and then rubbed it down onto the skin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
A friend of mines dog has started to chew the pads on its feet,Im just wondering what you lads think coulld be causing the dog to do this.He is taking it in to the vets today but he just wanted an idea before he goes.A lad I know said it could be too much protein and another said it could be just boredom.Thanks for anyreplies.

hi mate, ive had a similar problem with my bull bitch and in her case its an allergy to yeast, i hope this helps, good lucl

My Patt is alway's rubbing his face against the wall of the house and chewing his feet,whenever he's been working through nettle's and bramble's.Look's like he's having a fit,but usually calm's down after an hour or two.If the dog is chewing all the time,it might be a mite problem.If it's mite's,try Thornit powder.My lurcher had ear mite's a couple of year's ago,and this soon sorted the problem out.

• 2 weeks later...

hi mate, ive had a similar problem with my bull bitch and in her case its an allergy to yeast, i hope this helps, good lucl

Your bang on Barney.The vet couldnt pinpoint what was causeing it so he told my mate to keep the dog away from nettles etc, treat the feet for mites,Reduce the protein.My mate tried all this and the dog was still chewing his feet.Too cut a long story short my mate took him back to the vets and it was found the dog had an intolerance to yeast.I think he just feeds the dog raw now and hes been fine so far.