new fereting dog lurcher

hi all just got a new dog last weekend lurcher, thinking of taking him along this weekend not to do anything just to watch, should i let him settle in a bit more and get used to me hes 8 months old been introducing him to the ferrets this week, but hes a long way off being steady cheers j

Try and get it 100% or as close as you can with the ferrets before you take it out. I have been out with peoples dogs that are not steady with ferrets and there a pain in the hoop.

Spend a bit of time bonding with the dog and try to assess its nature (i.e will it sit qutiely and wait or will you have to chain it to a tree :icon_redface: ).

The dog is still young, you have only got to know it and there is plenty of time to take it out in the next month or two.

Patience and perseverence pays off in the long run.

Cheers FTB

why dont u try keeping him on a slip lead until the rabbit bolts then slip him, he will then learn to sit or stand and wait till the rabbit flys out the hole then chase it hopefully catching it. ive got a 9month old pup hopefully get a few days in before the season finishes, if the weather sorts its self out lol, good look atb

If he is "way off steady" then don't take him. Take him out mooching road walking or what ever, just get him obedient and a bit biddable, then take him. He sould take about six good outings or more, at a geuss. Depending on your training capabilities. Then with what you have taught him, train him whilst ferreting :notworthy:

Ha! forgot abbout the ferret thing, that's the easy part :clapper:

Feck me I am sensible some times :laugh:

Edited by leegreen