black eyed white

i used a dew over my poley jill last season and she had 5 slivers and 3 poleys no sign of any dews im not bothered all good working ferrets :thumbs:

Silvers and dews are the same colour, silvers come in all shades, some darker some light, dews are the lightest shade of silver and usually have a few dark hairs on them somewhere. Most silvers get lighter the older they get , some pale silvers would be called dews after a couple of moults.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i used a dew over my poley jill last season and she had 5 slivers and 3 poleys no sign of any dews im not bothered all good working ferrets :thumbs:

Silvers and dews are the same colour, silvers come in all shades, some darker some light, dews are the lightest shade of silver and usually have a few dark hairs on them somewhere. Most silvers get lighter the older they get , some pale silvers would be called dews after a couple of moults.

a dark eyed white is all white no sliver in it or dark hairs this is a sliver and def not a dew

post-40872-126643098063_thumb.jpg

a dark eyed white is all white no sliver in it or dark hairs this is a sliver and def not a dew

I know thats a silver, they come a lot darker and a lot lighter than that, what I'm saying is the very lightest get called dews, when in actual fact the same gene is involved.

I know thats a silver, they come a lot darker and a lot lighter than that, what I'm saying is the very lightest get called dews, when in actual fact the same gene is involved.

will i no dews as being all white no dark hairs in site if there is any dark hairs then i no it as a sliver :thumbs:

Hello all,

Silver, albino, poley does not matter as long as they do what they supposed to do

Been breeding for a fair few years now and have noticed no difference in working ability

just because of colour.

Falconers prefer albino or white because of the birds recognising ferret verses prey so the Falconer that i work with says

I put a silver hob over a honey coloured late last year and got one honey two polecat one white black eyed and one albino with red eyes (best worker out of the lot as it turns out) the polecats were very polecatty if you know what i mean.

There was a thread on here a while back on silver cross silver and the implications due to a genetic defect which put me off putting the Hob over a silver jill

cheerio

anton

i have 2 black eyed white jills and i mate them with a black eyed male whitch is sandy in the last few years i have only been getting 2 or 3 black eyed white out a litter

has any one ever had a full litter of black eyed and can any one tell people round my end that ferrets do the same job dont matter what F##king colour eyes lol

thanks kev

What colour are the other kits? Sandy or Silver? Try using an albno hob that has been bred from albino parents.

What difference will that make, an albino is an albino, no matter what colour it's parents were.

It will make a difference in the colour of the kits it throws.

as long as they work its ok but round my end they just refuse to buy ferrets that arnt black eyed white well i say all the village di#k heads will have them all day long but then you dont no what conditions they are kept in

thanks for the replys kev

Just my opinion but I personally would not breed to supply such a market. What the idiots will and won't buy shouldn't be your concern, just breed your own line and improve it whilst they're all fecking about with trivial things like colour :thumbs:

i have 2 black eyed white jills and i mate them with a black eyed male whitch is sandy in the last few years i have only been getting 2 or 3 black eyed white out a litter

has any one ever had a full litter of black eyed and can any one tell people round my end that ferrets do the same job dont matter what F##king colour eyes lol

thanks kev

What colour are the other kits? Sandy or Silver? Try using an albno hob that has been bred from albino parents.

What difference will that make, an albino is an albino, no matter what colour it's parents were.

No it won't, the albino gene is recessive to all other colours, meaning the albino can't possibly carry any other colour genes. So one albino is exactly the same as the next when it comes to breeding for colour.

as long as they work its ok but round my end they just refuse to buy ferrets that arnt black eyed white well i say all the village di#k heads will have them all day long but then you dont no what conditions they are kept in

Just my opinion but I personally would not breed to supply such a market. What the idiots will and won't buy shouldn't be your concern, just breed your own line and improve it whilst they're all fecking about with trivial things like colour :thumbs:

I agree - ferrets should be bred purely on working instinct. If idiots start breeding for color we will end up with show bred strains and the working potential will be reduced. In America folk have purposefully picked color and docileness over working ability and have (purposefully) bred a pretty but useless ferret. I would be extremely sceptical of anyone who claims to keep ferrets for hunting who will refuse a good strong kit because its the wrong color! It's not a f**king jumper!

Also color mutations etc are just that a weakening of the genetic material. If they are bred together for several generations they often start to show signs of weakness.

Having said that i have a cracking silver jill, who is a great worker. She DOES look nice, but that played no part in me ending up with her. And when i breed her i will put the best working hob i can get over her no matter of color. It will most likely be my mates excellent albino hob Sam. I do not give 2 sh*ts what color the kits turn out as long as they work like parents.

One final though - ferrets are for hunting underground where you CAN'T SEE THEM!

atb

Jai.

I agree - ferrets should be bred purely on working instinct. If idiots start breeding for color we will end up with show bred strains and the working potential will be reduced. In America folk have purposefully picked color and docileness over working ability and have (purposefully) bred a pretty but useless ferret. I would be extremely sceptical of anyone who claims to keep ferrets for hunting who will refuse a good strong kit because its the wrong color! It's not a f**king jumper!

Also color mutations etc are just that a weakening of the genetic material. If they are bred together for several generations they often start to show signs of weakness.

Having said that i have a cracking silver jill, who is a great worker. She DOES look nice, but that played no part in me ending up with her. And when i breed her i will put the best working hob i can get over her no matter of color. It will most likely be my mates excellent albino hob Sam. I do not give 2 sh*ts what color the kits turn out as long as they work like parents.

One final though - ferrets are for hunting underground where you CAN'T SEE THEM!

atb

Jai.

I agree, thats why all mine are genetically sound polecats.

thanks kev

No it won't, the albino gene is recessive to all other colours, meaning the albino can't possibly carry any other colour genes. So one albino is exactly the same as the next when it comes to breeding for colour.

i used to have a sandy hob whos mother was an albino the litter was mixed

thats a nice looking ferret that (the ferreter) am throwing them colours out but also fully white with black eyes very nice pal

cheers mate they all turned out a nice litter if your gona take a litter of kits out of your sliver then put her 2 a dark poley silver 2 sliver will just weaken the kits or they could come out with problems