training pup

take him out with a dog thats already catching it helps alot get rabbit pelt dry it and play with it with him throw it and start taking him out and around your land he will soon pick it up he is still a baby so take your time " u only get out wat u put in " never more true in lurchers or any dogs really all the best happy hunting u will get there forgot to say read some of the related older posts on her as well but always ask if not sure you will get good advice on here

Edited by barry lurcher

i have a bullX pup hes about 7 months old and was looking to start training him. i caught a rabbit today and brought it home but he showed no interest in it. how would you all train your pups

thanks in advance

have you any experience with dogs in general..

i dont usually let them see rabbits till about ten month .if i think there mature enough that is .and you cant train a dog to chase them bud its in him to do that you just cover the basics with him (retrieving is essential i like them to sit and stay on command and get him steady with the beef and muttan also essential) .and in a couple of months let him see some bunnys once he gets a wee buzz out of chasing one rabbit bud nothing will stop him . so my advice is dont panic and dont rush your pup bud everything will come in time . but these are my methods , opinions ,and advice free if you want them bud. :thumbs:

i start mines catching rabbit s about 7 or 8 months give them a go maybe 3 or 4 runs but before that they have seen lots of dead rabbits fur dummies and usaly take them out with there mother ,got a young collie lurcher at moment she had her second nite out ,on rabbs she got 3 good rabbits on winter wheat ,done not to bad , nice to get her out on her own main thing is she brings rabbits back without me saying a thing and she doesnt hunt up willy nilly and she is hitting cover to get her rabbit, time will tell if she will be there next year i hope so , start he ferrreting this week she has had afew outing with her father but still got to learn to position her self for a bolt