Ferret Biteing

Hi i recently got my two jills they are a year old, one is lovely never bites the other has just bitten me i would say more than a playfull bite, it broke the skin and went in quite far. How can i stop her from biteing me ive been told not to flick her so what else can i do to stop her she has already bitten three people, which was embarresing as iv'e only had them 2 days.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Allow the jill time to settle in... she will come round in time... if she is entire it could also be hormonal changes

Roughing up. nose flicking all very negative approaches & onion is a toxin to ferrets ....... i thought it was 2010 pretty crap advice to be handing out

Mate - you cant reprimand them like dogs, you just have to handle them. Unfortunatly its a bit difficult if no ones put the time in over the last year! But i've seen some horrible like biters turned around by a good feed and plenty of handling. Try some ferretone - their much more interested in eating it than biting you.

atb

Jai

Mate - you cant reprimand them like dogs, you just have to handle them. Unfortunatly its a bit difficult if no ones put the time in over the last year! But i've seen some horrible like biters turned around by a good feed and plenty of handling. Try some ferretone - their much more interested in eating it than biting you.

atb

Jai

How do you use ferretone and will handling it with gloves and slowly changing to skin help

the gloves might help you but it wont help them they will not be used to your scent. but on the other hand there is no eveidence to say that it will harm them either. just try to handle her as often as possble preferably after feeding they are less likely to bite on a full belly. putting vinegar on your hands is another thing people try. ferretone is a liquid you can buy on ebay and some pet stores and they go mad for it for some reason just put it on your fingers and they will learn to lick them not bite and that your are there to feed them not harm them.

you can get ferretone here. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ferretone-Ferret-Food-Supplement-8oz-237ml-Bottle_W0QQitemZ250533009170QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Small_Animals?hash=item3a54ee5712

hope this helps

moses

edited due to shocking spelling......

Edited by moses

the gloves might help you but it wont help them they will not be used to your scent. but on the other hand there is no eveidence to say that it will harm them either. just try to handle her as often as possble preferably after feeding they are less likely to bite on a full belly. putting vinegar on your hands is another thing people try. ferretone is a liquid you can buy on ebay and some pet stores and they go mad for it for some reason just put it on your fingers and they will learn to lick them not bite and that your are there to feed them not harm them.

you can get ferretone here. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ferretone-Ferret-Food-Supplement-8oz-237ml-Bottle_W0QQitemZ250533009170QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Small_Animals?hash=item3a54ee5712

hope this helps

moses

edited due to shocking spelling...... ruff it up evrey time it bits flick its nose bet u it stops

Allow the jill time to settle in... she will come round in time... if she is entire it could also be hormonal changes

eather push your finger right down there throte till they try and get it out dont hert her just make it very uncomfortable, or smash an onion and rub it in your hands and fingers she wont want any of that, the finger thing iv done but iv not tried the onion jobby mabe worth a try.

eather push your finger right down there throte till they try and get it out dont hert her just make it very uncomfortable, or smash an onion and rub it in your hands and fingers she wont want any of that, the finger thing iv done but iv not tried the onion jobby mabe worth a try.

i personally would not try this as it will only give the ferret a fear of being picked up.

I don't like hurting them, i don't like wearing gloves and i don't like covering hands in funny stuff - all that does is teach them that your hands are not a pleasant place to be. Time, patience and care and she will come round. It's much better to have a ferret that doesnt bite you cos your her buddy and source of food rather than one that doesnt bite out of fear.

atb, hope you get it sorted.

Jai.