Teaching a dog to kill??

Right the story goes:-

I have a GSPointer x Greyhound, And i help on an estate i do alot of the lamping of foxes on this estate with rifles while my dog walks with me and when there is no fox about runs the rabbits. I shoot quite alot of foxes and inevitably some don't die an instant death for whatever reason(even if it was a good shot in the killzone)(i also like to keep a record of which sex they are)

So i want my dog to be able to catch and kill a wounded fox to prevent prolonged suffering to the fox. He has helped twice and caught one that got up and started to stagger off and one that was hit throught the spine and was dragging itself along at about jogging pace!!

Both times he has run up picked it up shook it slightly and then started to carry it back, he then gets bitten and drops it(he has been bitten three times HARD), but still goes back in so not scared but sort of bounces in and grabs but not to kill!

Last night was one of these occasions and he carried on grabbing at it until i got there but was grabbing its arse end......................this worried me as i was told by someone that once an arse biter always an arse biter......is this true??

And how do i teach him to kill??

he has never been doubled up and is 14months old!! I try to keep him off them but sometimes he goes deaf and runs in after the shot!!

ive had pitbulls and lurchers that wouldnt finish the job once theyd retrieved if the fox or watever had no fight in it they werent interested even after many catches get yourself a good club and do the job yourself as long as the dogs holding or bringng it to you its doing its job if you were hunting for pelts the less marks the better

Sounds like you've just got a dog with a soft mouth, I suppose some dog's just aren't the killing type, at least he's retrieving! :D Arse biting makes sense if he's trying to retrieve it back to you, the arse is the furthest point from the teeth, he's just fed up with getting bitten!!

Try what 'BITCH' suggested, maybe another dog going in hard a fast will get his blood up a bit more??

Guest oldskool

i like to hold the dead fox up by the back legs and encourage the dog to mouth the throat and chest... praise him when he does!! 14 months is still very young and pointer crosses are supposed to be quite immature anyway!! and plus what bitch said, a run or 2 with another dog might get is blood up a bit more

Edited by oldskool
try running him with something already doing them,he will be more confident with another dog.at least he,s going back in when hes taken a bite, before long the penny will drop! :yahoo:

:drink::icon_redface::icon_redface:;) ..............BLOODY HELL..............you're avatar on here is worse than smoochers!!!!! :11: :11:

Edited by D.C.

Cheers nijinski, yeah he's doing me proud i really like pointer x's but for where i live i'd get something with whippet in it for my next dog and mainly sight hound..........a half cross lacks an extra gear as i was warned about but i do shooting and beating as well he he could be good at this as well.............saying on the speed front he's def got the power for a quick take off and the weight to bring down any size quarry!! no recent photos and he's muscled up a bit in the last 3 weeks he's about 26"tts and about 80lb i'd say. i'd probably have a nother but a 3/4GWP or something i would have loved to have put him over a saluki/grey if he makes the grade but he has no nuts now!!!

Will sort some pics out tomoz though

he should have the kill instinct at his age, he has got two soft breeds in his make up so he just needs time, chewing the arse is a greyhound trademark, once they get a hiding. a good scrag with a pelt might help? we use a pighead and skin on very young pups to give them a bit of a head start.