to big for the job

my son & i have just got into lamping. we got a bitch 18months old dearhound x greyhound,its working verry well, we dont need to put it on a lead as it will stay by our side, picks up rabbits on the lamp & sometims of too.will jump allmost anything & retreives to hand, it even got a rabbit with big ears the other night when it run out of the lamp. but the lampers we know say the dog is to big for the job. can a bread of dog be to big.if so why

What made you chose this cross? Does the dog please you? If so, it is still young, why not give it a chance to keep improving its skills. If you listen to other people, who may well be talking big, what are you going to do with your dog - say its crap and trade it in for something else on someone else's say so?

You still get people who think you need a small dog for lamping.My exspieriance has taught me good lamp dogs can and do come in all sizes.thumbs.gif

if its doin its job at ease like u say keep it at it atb :victory:

my son & i have just got into lamping. we got a bitch 18months old dearhound x greyhound,its working verry well, we dont need to put it on a lead as it will stay by our side, picks up rabbits on the lamp & sometims of too.will jump allmost anything & retreives to hand, it even got a rabbit with big ears the other night when it run out of the lamp. but the lampers we know say the dog is to big for the job. can a bread of dog be to big.if so why

I soppose nothings too big really got a mate thats got a 29'' Lab/Gh that scoop's rabbits up,

I just think some dog are better suited too diffrent tasks imoh,

If your after a rabbiting dog then i wouldnt advise you too get a first cross Bull/Gh (not saying that they dont catch em like i say just think theres ones out there that MORE suited too the task)

The same as id say if some one said there after a 3/3 dog i wouldnt advise them on a Beddy/Wh, Get what i mean..

Me personaly i put people saying big lurchers and certain crosses being no good for the lamp on the misinformed writeings of one Brian plummer who i think some people still believe wat he wrote.One of my best lamp dogs was a 29tts f1x saluki/grey who could scoop rabbits up in a few strides despite his size unlike some small type lurchers i have seen that seemed to make hard work of it.atb dell

What made you chose this cross? Does the dog please you? If so, it is still young, why not give it a chance to keep improving its skills. If you listen to other people, who may well be talking big, what are you going to do with your dog - say its crap and trade it in for something else on someone else's say so?

it looked an old fashiond dog & we are bleased with it so far,we would like to try it on all quary, but havent had the chance yet, but before we go down that parth the bread any good

i have a big saluki cross grey and a small kelpie cross whippet. the saluki is ok in largish fields but in wooded country or small fields he cant get started the idea behind the kelpie x is that her size wil be ideal for this sort of ground (she is only 8 months at the moment) plus she is really inteligent wheras the saluki is a donut (A big lovable donut)

if your happy with your dog and her abilities don't take any notice of what other lampers are saying .... get out and enjoy your dog .... all the best :thumbs:

i have a big saluki cross grey and a small kelpie cross whippet. the saluki is ok in largish fields but in wooded country or small fields he cant get started the idea behind the kelpie x is that her size wil be ideal for this sort of ground (she is only 8 months at the moment) plus she is really inteligent wheras the saluki is a donut (A big lovable donut)

my son has brought a pup out of a dog called mavrick from a snow & casper line this is saluki also lovable donut, we go lamping in kent filds can be big and small