FAC application and footpaths?

Morning everybody.

After having a SGC for 3 years now, I am in the throws of applying for my FAC, (.22lr) and have been granted written permission from a farmer to control vermin on one of his 120 acre plots. Nicely remote, many bordering fields and dense woodland surrounding. The only thing i wanted to ask was whether having a footpath running through a small corner of the land would be an issue? The land isnt currently registered, and after speaking to the local FEO, obviously he would need to inspect.Any advise id greaty appreciated.Dan

Morning everybody.

After having a SGC for 3 years now, I am in the throws of applying for my FAC, (.22lr) and have been granted written permission from a farmer to control vermin on one of his 120 acre plots. Nicely remote, many bordering fields and dense woodland surrounding. The only thing i wanted to ask was whether having a footpath running through a small corner of the land would be an issue? The land isnt currently registered, and after speaking to the local FEO, obviously he would need to inspect.Any advise id greaty appreciated.Dan

Can't see it as being a problem as long as you are safe. The only thing in law regarding shooting and rights of way is that you can't discharge a firearm within 50 feet of the centre of a highway if doing so causes any distress or interruption to a user of the highway. However, "highway" in this sense relates to a right of way with a carriageway so a footpath or bridleway doesn't count. I think there's a bit about using a firarm to cause damage to a highway or a fixture on the highway too.

J.

Morning everybody.

Can't see it as being a problem as long as you are safe. The only thing in law regarding shooting and rights of way is that you can't discharge a firearm within 50 feet of the centre of a highway if doing so causes any distress or interruption to a user of the highway. However, "highway" in this sense relates to a right of way with a carriageway so a footpath or bridleway doesn't count. I think there's a bit about using a firarm to cause damage to a highway or a fixture on the highway too.

J.

Thats what i thought, but wasent really sure.

Thanks for the help

I have footpaths crossing some of my permissions, what the FEO's seem to want is to know that you are aware of it and will take suitable precautions, like shooting early and late. If it is a high traffic area they might like you to put up signs, although my friends and I have found this sometimes acts, on certain members of the general public, like a red rag to a bull.

We have even got our local FEO to agree that we can shoot over the river avon in one place as it is the safest shot available to us, it's into a very long, steep bank where the deer are maurauding a forestry commission grant funded plantation.

I am sure that when you talk to him he will be fine, as you are thinking about problems that can occur, which to me shows you are being responsible.

Atb, ft

Thanks again for the help.

Its a very seldom used path, but nonetheless, its still there. I intend to do more lamping than anything in any case, but ill be sure to let the FEO know my intentions.

Having the farmer give me a copy of the RPA plans sure is an asset, as it shows eveything in great detail. I shall send a copy of this in when i apply.

Thanks again