rioting hounds

We have the same problem as others over seas with their hounds rioting on deer or other spieces other than the target spieces ie. Fox or hare.

I was wonder what the methods are that you all employ to stop this.

I use training collars these days to keep the dogs of roos and wallabys. but in days past this was a big problem.

I read one time in ben Hardaways book He used to put his hounds in a barrel and spray them with deer scent as he rolled them down a slop. A bit extreme but he said cured about 70% from chasing deer and 100% from ever getting in a barrel again. lol

What is all your thorts on this.

Stevemac

I worked with a pack in Virginia in america for a summer and we all carried pistols with rat shot, or rock salt in shotguns and would shoot the hounds in the ass if they at it. Here with our own hounds we just use the crack of a whip or a good stick when you catch them at it. You must catch them at it though. Its no good afterwards.

The drawback to collars is once you use them you almost certainly have to permanently use them, the hounds know when they have them on and when they don't, another problem i've seen is that when you zap them and they let out a squeak, it draws the rest of the hounds to the hound and to the line of whatever it is that you don't want them to hunt,

My opinion on this subject is that its 75% breeding and 25% training, if you expose your hounds to riot early on in there lives in a controlled situation and make abundantly clear that its a no no, it normally works and for those that are just to stupid to pick up on this they get drafted to deer hunters or go hunting in the great hunting grounds. JMHO

what i do is when there a few months old you take them out hunting with the adult hounds to get used to the different types of scent then once they start to use there noses on scent i keep them on a lead and then when the adults start giving tongue let them join in on the hunt which if your adults are sound enough then theyll be hunting the right quarry,but thats for pure foxhounds ive no experience with crossbred hounds atb

thanks for the comments as i said ive got collars now days an this has deffinately solved the roo chasin prodbem though I dont own foxhounds anymore and the dogs I own arnt as single minded as they were. Ive had plenty of mates that have employed the big stick approach the problem I see with hounds though is they are no where near you when they decide to riot. and as a foot hunter theres no whip riding up to lay down the law.

stevemac